Chapter 5

#MMIM05

"Yes po. Nando'n naman ho sila. Baka mamaya na lang ako pumunta sa St. Peter," sabi ko kay Mommy through the phone call.

"I'm sorry you're handling it all alone, anak." My mom blew her nose. "Gusto namin umuwi. Kakahanap lang namin ng flight. At least nand'yan sina Tito mo."

"It's okay po." I forced a smile.

"I talked to your Tita Jenny. I didn't know na Claude took that scholarship of his in Manila." Pag-iiba ni Mommy sa topic. But it wasn't a topic I was informed of.

He took the scholarship?

Where is he now?

"Well, at least we can be at ease kapag nagpa-Manila ka for your road trips. You'll have Claude there." Tuloy ni Mommy.

"Mom, I'll call you back, ah?" paalam ko.

Once I ended the call, I ran to my window. His curtain's closed. I thought he was there. I thought I wasn't going through this alone.

Bago pa ako makapag-isip isip ay narinig ko kaagad yung doorbell. I quickly ran out of my room, down the stairs, and straight for the front door. It's kind of uncomfortable living in such a huge house alone.

Pagka-bukas ko sa pintuan ay nandoon sina Tita Jenny. Naka-puti lang siya, at kasama niya si Sophia at Ezra. Mukhang busy si Tito ngayon.

But there was also no sign of Claude anywhere behind them.

"Condolence, anak." Tita Jenny leaned in for a hug. "You know that you're our family, right? Kahit doon ka na lang muna sa amin matulog, Natalia, kung masyadong-"

"I'm okay, Tita." I smiled.

Ezra leaned in for a hug while Sophia was tugging on the hem of my top.

"Condolence," Ezra said. "Sorry rin na wala si Claude... I know you need him now."

I raised both my eyebrows and blinked a few times. So he's really nowhere to be found?

"Nasaan si Claude?" I asked them as we walked towards the living room.

"Naku, pumunta na kasi 'yon sa Manila bigla. Akala ko nagpaalam sa'yo, 'nak."

I couldn't hide the disappointment in my face.

He really left. He left without saying goodbye. He left without saying goodbye to his best friend.

"So... he's gone?" I softly asked Ezra.

He gave me a comforting smile and patted me on the shoulder.

I didn't know what to feel. I lost my sister... and now I'm finding out that I lost my best friend. I've tried texting him. I've tried his facebook. He isn't replying to anything. Akala ko nandito lang siya. Akala ko, he was just going through a rough patch and that I could go next door and just... see him again.

"Sabay na tayo papuntang St. Peter, nak," sabi ni Tita Jenny. "We're here for you, okay?"

I forced a smile and nodded. The whole day was basically just smiling at people I haven't seen in a while, and them telling me stories about how my sister was so nice to them. Them telling me that they're sorry.

And honestly, I'm sorry, too.

I'm sorry that I didn't get to tell her how grateful I am. I'm sorry that I never got to tell her that she was so strong for looking after me after both our parents went abroad. I'm sorry that I was the loud one, the lazy one.

"Hey." Lance smiled. "Come on, we'll drive you home."

"Dala mo car niyo?" tanong ko. "Ano gamit ng mom mo?"