Twenty

"Need some help with that?" Kai asked in amusement, watching his boyfriend's face scrunched up in concentration as he cut up some yellow coloured paper into a circle. Well, more like a horribly deformed egg.

He groaned, putting the scissors down with a deep frown marring his face. "I hate this shit."

"I don't understand how someone who's so good at art can be so bad at crafts," Kai laughed as he took the scissors, easily cutting the papers into perfectly-shaped circles. "I thought those two things went hand in hand."

"You kidding? I have better chance of cutting my own hand off with these damn scissors than a proper circle," he grumbled.

"I guess you can't be good at everything."

"You're surprisingly good at this though," Sehun noted.

"Yah, why the hell did you get blue lights? What part of yellow lights didn't you understand?!" Kyungsoo yelled as he held up some string lights.

"What? I precisely remember you saying blue!" Kris retorted.

"Blue was for the neon lights!"

Kris widened his eyes, "Oh shit, I totally mixed those two up..."

"You idiot! You think I have time for this buffonery?! I have a whole prom to decorate!" Kyungsoo smacked him over and over again with a nearby ruler as Kris uttered out a string of ow's and sorry's, trying to escape Kyungsoo's wrath.

Sehun sighed as he looked around the crowded, messy art room. It'd been like that all week since they were on duty for prom decorations. Multi-coloured scraps of paper littered the floor, random stationary strewn about on the desks, loud chatter around every corner and the occasional "WHERE'S MY GLUE(or any other random utensil)?" that had everyone searching about.

It was nothing like the quiet, peaceful sanctuary he came to at the end of the day to relax. Not that there was any time to relax because there was so much work to do, mostly thanks to the measly budget the school had provided for decorations so they had to DIY almost everything. Not to mention they had finals in two weeks, so work at school only turned into work at home at the end of the day as he tried to cram all the contents of the year into his brain. Obviously spending so much time with Kai made him neglect his studies for quite a while. On top of all that, he'd taken up a few extra shifts at the dojo to bring in some extra cash since money was really tight at home. His mother opposed it completely but he wouldn't budge, knowing she needed the help more than she liked to admit.

He just had a lot on his plate and barely any free time for himself to just unwind and relax.

Thankfully, Kai accompanied him to the art room almost everyday and helped out as much as he could, but sadly that was about the only time they spent around each other lately.

"I can't believe all this shit we're working so hard on will get thrown away after prom anyway. Feels like a waste of time," he mumbled as he watched Kai work.

"Of course it's not. All these decorations are part of what makes prom night so special."

"I wouldn't know. I never attended prom," Sehun said with a shrug. "Still had to work on these dumb decorations every time though. It's like the worst part of my year."

"Seriously?" Kai looked dumbstruck at the revelation, "You never went? But why?"

"I was never really interested I guess? I never had a date, I don't dance, I don't like punch, or most people at school... The whole experience just seems easily replaceable with some fries."

"But still..." Kai looked scandalised, "You are gonna go this time, obviously!"

"Eh... I'm not sure. I feel like I'll be too worn out by the time prom comes around anyway," Sehun shrugged, rubbing his eyes.