14. The Dinner

(Reader discretion advised...)

Josephine's POV:

We're back in the car with the boot filled with hundreds of bags, that probably not being an understatement, when my stomach rumbles. Having used all of my energy for that shopping spree, and trying on more clothes than I ever had, I was famished.

I'm in the best mood ever though, as I'd just spent some quality alone time with Alex in Victoria's Secret, where we'd talked and mainly flirted a whole lot. All I could think about right now though, was food.

Gene looked hungry too as her stomach growls alongside mine. She grabs her stomach in an effort to hide it before looking at me and stifling a laugh. I grab her hand and squeeze it, smiling before looking at Alex sitting next to me, who it seems has been staring at me. Good.

"Where are we going now?" Gene asks Tae, who's riding shotgun, loud enough for it to be an open question.

"You two said you wanted dinner earlier," he says, "so Elijah's taking us to one of his favourite restaurants."

"What flavour is it?" I ask, meaning cuisine but forgetting the word.

"Flavour?" Gene questions, raising her eyebrows.

"Yeah, you know, like whatever dishes they serve, the flavour," I go on, mind blanking at what I'm trying to say.

"Do you mean the cuisine?" Gene laughs.

"That's basically what I said," I say, rolling my eyes at my own dumb brain.

"It's Chinese," Theo interrupts, "one of the best, authentic ones we go to. We're regulars'

"I LOVE CHINESE!" I squeal, assuming it's good since Elijah seems to have impeccable taste.

"Calm down Blondie, the whole world doesn't need to hear," Theo sighs, and I see his exasperated look in the top mirror. Tae rolls his eyes.

Not many of the mafia men like me, I've realised, but I don't care. I don't need them all to like me, just the select few. I turn to look at Alex who's large body is pressed against me, as once again, I'm in that weird, half, middle seat. His body heat is radiating onto me, and I move myself closer to him, feeling his body slightly tense next to mine. I smile up at him, about to say something, before Gene interrupts.

"Have you ever eaten Chinese food before?" Gene whispers, nudging my knee with hers.

"Of course I have," I retort. Does she really think I'm that sad? I recall all the nights I spent with Charlie in random hotels, where we'd often order Chinese.

"We...I always have the... like... prawn crackers and egg fried rice."

"So generic," she says, rolling her eyes again, "you need to try more authentic dishes."

"How would you know?" I ask, annoyed slightly but I don't know why.

"I'm half-Asian," she replies.

"You're what?" I say.

"Half-Asian dumbo," she says, laughing slightly again.

"So?" I obliviously ask, turning to face her.

"So it means I know what dishes are good and what aren't," she sighs "and prawn crackers are definitely not authentic."

"How did you not know?" Tae asks, turning round from the front and laughing at me.

"Do you guys wanna just stop ganging up on her?" Alex asks, his eyes flicking between Gene and Tae. He was standing up for me. Good.

"Oh yeah I forgot you had a little crush on blondie here," Theo mocks, smiling at me jibingly.