18. Home Alone

The GIF is dedicated to our biggest fan crispy1apples We love you so much xoxoxoxoxxoxo

Genevieve's POV:

A few days pass by, very slowly and uneventfully. All I really do is watch tv, play games in the games rooms, read a load, and other normal things like... eating? Josie and I speak now and again, but it's all very awkward between us. She's shown no interest in escaping, and that worries me, but I'm sure, deep down, that she's still working on this big plan of hers.

At least that's what I tell myself.

The only eventful thing was that I'd started training with Callan. When he said he was the best, I'd assumed he was just bragging but watching him defeat Sebastian, Tae and Elijah in a heartbeat really made me take a step back, almost in admiration.

How was he so good? Callan had the audacity to look like he was bored whilst fighting, almost like it was all too easy for him.

I guess that's what comes when you were basically bred for it - I'd learnt a bit about them while we trained together. They started off with 'easy beginner skills'. Well, easy for them but after each session, my entire body ached and I felt like I could collapse for a whole lifetime.

Tae and I have gotten a lot closer too. I basically spend all day with him, and we talk loads, learning so much about each other and our lives. Cato's been sweet to me too, giving me book recommendations, and whatnot, which I've been grateful for, but I never tell him that I've read most of the ones he suggests.

I've also gone on a few runs with Callan and Sebastian, somehow I was able to keep up with them thanks to all the runs I used to enjoy with my mother... and they seemed surprised by this the very first time we went on a run.

I may have run a bit faster on purpose because I didn't want to lag behind as I ended up hurling up my breakfast straight after.

They'd laughed at first when I'd asked to go with them but soon stopped when they realised I was serious. Now, I almost look forward to when I wake up and I hear a knock on my door.

I mean they were fast, a lot faster alone than when they ran with me so I think they went intentionally slow for me. I appreciated this, as every time I slowed down a bit, one of them pretended they needed a water break or the other said they needed to tie their shoe lace.

They didn't seem to be bothered by it but I couldn't help but smile slightly every time they did it, it felt as though they were almost like friends to me.

Almost.

After the runs, we'd sometimes sit by the lake and talk about random topics. For some unknown reason, the conversation was so smooth with them and I was beginning to form a sort of bond, not that I had asked for one. It was one I didn't know I'd needed, to make me feel slightly more at home in this place.

Emphasis on slightly.

I've also noticed Alex and Josie get closer and closer too - all she seems to be doing is spending her time flirting or messing around with him, but I keep having to remind myself that it's the same with me and Tae, so I can't be judgemental.

I kind of just ignore them, but often it's hard to, especially when they're laughing so loudly at God knows what, that the whole house can probably hear them, or when Josie gave Alex an extremely intense rendition of some rap by ASAP Rocky, with a dance to go along, because Alex had said she couldn't rap, or when he had his arm wrapped around Josie whilst we'd watched a film, or whatever else it was they got up to together. They seemingly brought trouble and chaos with them wherever they went.