23. Grey's Anatomy

Genevieve's POV:

I can hear voices whispering around me, before I slowly open my heavy eyelids. My entire body feels numb, as I glance at the tubes coming out of my arm. I register that I'm in a hospital bed, but I'm not in a hospital, as I look around the room at the group of men who are huddled together, talking. Then I spot Tae, who rushes over to me.

"Hey," he softly says, "how are you feeling?"

"I'm..." I croak out, my voice hoarse, my throat sore, "I'm... fine," I suddenly realise, that the excruciating pain that was coursing through my body, has gone, replaced by this numbness.

"How long have I been out?" I ask.

"A good few hours," Tae replies.

"What happened?"

"Well, you got shot," he says, motioning to the bandages covering my leg, anger hidden behind his voice and concerned expression.

"I know that," I snark back, to which he laughs.

"You're at our safe house right now," Tae explains, "we have people for... situations like this. It's not every day someone turns up to a normal hospital with a bullet wound."

"That's true," I weakly laugh.

"I mean, usually Theo or Sebastian could've helped you, they have experience in the medical field, or even I have a bit of knowledge... but none of us were there. You had to rely on fucking Josie and Cato," he seethes.

"Where's Josie?" I suddenly ask, "Is she ok?"

"She's fine," Tae replies sharply, "she's back at the house with Theo and Alex I think. Sal and I came here to find you and Cato. I think a few of the other guys are coming too, Sal wants us all out of that house ASAP."

I suddenly see the lifeless eyes of Nick in front of me, as he fell on top of me after he'd got shot. I blink my eyes hard, trying to clear the image out of my mind. Tears fall down my face as I frustratedly try and push the traumatising memory to the back of my head.

"Are you alright?" Tae suddenly asks, "are you in pain?"

I don't reply, pushing down the tears, having to bite my tongue to stop myself from breaking down in front of everyone.

"I'm fine," I get out. I didn't want to talk. At least not right now.

As if he could read my mind, he weakly smiled at me and his eyes lowered, as if he understood the pain I was going through.

It didn't help though.

I couldn't get the image of Nick's face out of my head. How he'd only got shot because he crouched to look at my leg. Only because I got fucking shot. Only because I had to get Josie out the fucking way. Only because she was in her own fucking world and couldn't be responsible for once in her life...

I quickly push the thoughts away. It wasn't Josie's fault, or mine.

Right?

My thoughts are interrupted as Salvatore walks over to my bed, stopping at the other side of me, opposite Tae.

"How are you? We were all very... concerned that you got injured when we were supposed to keep you safe," he asks, his voice very low, a sense of caution in his tone.

"I'm alright," I lie, "it's not that bad."

"She's lying," a familiar voice sounds, "she was screaming the entire way here."

"No I wasn't," I mock, rolling my eyes, smiling slightly that Cato is safe, "and even if I were, try getting shot and then having to drive hours to get to a hospital."