20. The Attack

Genevieve's POV:

After Josie is finally all dressed and ready, after her swimming pool escapade, the two of us head downstairs to find Cato in the kitchen. I'd pushed away what I really thought about what she was doing. If she said it was to help us escape, I'd have to believe her. For now.

Cato is changed too and is now in a large grey jumper and some tracksuit bottoms.

Josie sidles up to him at the counter, where Cato is getting some snacks and making hot chocolate, and I glance at them together. I'm still sceptical, this better be part of the plan.

I didn't know what to think, but I'm keeping my mind open. Josie was right; tonight could be our best chance of escaping yet.

After all the snacks are ready, and the hot chocolate has been made, the three of us head into one of the living rooms, our arms filled with bags of popcorn, crisps and cookies. The night outside is pitch black, and none of the exterior lights are on, leaving the room almost scarily dark until Josie switches the lights on.

"What film should we watch?" she asks, as we settle down into one of the plush sofas, with Cato on one end, me on the other, and Josie in the middle.

"I don't mind," I awkwardly reply, whilst Cato grabs the remote and starts flicking through Netflix.

We eventually pick a film, after ages trying to decide, but I don't focus on it. Instead, I'm wondering how watching this movie is meant to help us escape. Josie seems engrossed, her eyes wide open, as her hand dips in the popcorn bag every now and then.

Suddenly, the loudest bang is heard, and I jerk in my seat, realising I had slightly been dozing off. I'm wide awake now though, and I look over at Cato who's looking around confused too. Josie is still engrossed in the film.

"What was that?" I ask.

"I have no idea," Cato replies, some concern present in his eyes, "I'm sure it was nothing though."

I sit back, unconvinced, glancing absentmindedly at the movie again.

Then, another loud bang echoes through the house, and I jerk up again.

"Ok that's weird," I say, and Cato has risen to his feet as well, heading towards the door and popping his head out.

"What's going on?" I ask.

"Shh," Cato replies, glancing out as he walks into the hallway, before he returns.

"I can't see anything," Cato says, "I think some of the guards are just mucking around."

"But that sounded like an explosion," I begin, looking around scared.

Another bang sounds, and I jump to my feet, for some reason my whole body tingling with adrenaline, until I realise my flight or fight instincts are kicking in. Something bad is going on.

"Josie," I say, looking at her. She's still seated and eating popcorn, her eyes transfixed on the movie.

Another explosion sound, and now it seems closer.

"Josie!" I say, urgently shaking her arm.

"What?" she asks, finally pulling away from her entranced state.

"Did you hear that?"

"Hear what?" she asks.

Nick comes crashing into the room, his shirt splattered with blood, his eyes wide in shock.

I back away from him, the expression on his face terrifying me.

"Fuck, good, you're all ok," Nick sighs in relief, his voice jagged.

"What the hells going on?" Cato asks.

"Some guards have turned or something," Nick begins, gasping for air and glancing at the three of us who are now next to him. "A couple of them killed some other guards, and then pointed the gun to me, so I fucking ran. I passed someone in the hall. He was basically dead..."