Chapter 23 Polyplax POV

Polyplax's eyes flew open as he heard a thump on the ground followed by what sounded like the crackle of fire. He saw Hibiscus falling into the middle of the flames, engulfing her. He tried to let out a scream for help but remembered what Wasp did to him.

He looked around frantically as he got up. He sprinted toward where he saw Hibiscus and leaped to take flight. Instead he flopped on the ground. He looked to see what was wrong with his wing and he saw that his wing had a huge tear in it.

He then punched the ground in frustration. He could try controlling the HiveWings again, except Wasp would take over and Polyplax would be sent to destroy the jungle. He tried to think of a plan with the short time he had. Or I don't have the time. Hibiscus could die.

Shaking his head, he tried to think. Looking around, he saw that most of the guards were gone, only the three that he could control, and saw no sight of Wasp and Sundew.

The three guards were standing around awkwardly, still confused on what happened earlier.

He focused on them again, his vision once again split into three perspectives. But it flickered, going to the three eyes to his, back and forth.

His exhaustion held him back, his eyelids drooping as he tried to maintain power. But he kept them open, open for Hibiscus. He stopped trying and shakily stood up, walking to the guards. Please, please help me. He thought as he started to motion to the fire. The youngest out of the three tried to guess what he was 'saying'.

"Uhh—you want us to go die in the fire?"

A no.

"Go into the fire?"

A yes.

"Try to put it out?"

Hmm, a slight yes, but still a no.

"Is someone in there you want us to rescue?"

Polyplax jumped in joy, nodding vigorously. The youngest looked at the others, their faces looked torn. He wouldn't blame them. They had to choose between Wasp and the dragon who can control them.

The youngest slowly rose up, hovering in place until he could see the hybrid. He flew into the smoke, disappearing.

"SCORPION!!" The middle guard yelled, taking to the sky after him. The third guard, a female unlike the other two, had frozen in fear, mumbling, "My dear friends... come back..." The HiveWing soon was whispering a prayer to Clearsight, her eyes brimming with tears.

Polyplax felt bad for her, but his eyes were fixed on the sky, hoping for any sign of the three.

Minutes later, the two HiveWings flew out, carrying Hibuscus's limp body in their arms.

They dove to the ground, crashing into the dirt. They coughed out smoke, hacking some ashes that were caught in their throats. Polyplax ran over to Hibiscus, looking for any signs of breathing.

None.

A heartbeat?

Dead silent.

Lastly, a pulse...

Not a beat.

This can't be happening. Polyplax's eyes were dilated, his breathing shaky.

Hibiscus was dead.