Chapter one

"Are you sure I don't look too ... salacious?"

Maggie rolls her eyes and keeps me from tugging down the leather skirt. "That's a nice way of saying that my favorite skirt looks slutty."

A laugh bursts through my lips. "When you wear it, you look incredible but on me, it must look awful."

"Stop whining, Ellie." She undoes the top button of my blouse. "You're a hot piece of ass."

Her directness is exactly the reason why I love her so much. She's nothing like the other people I know. I swat my hand at my gorgeous friend and wink. "We all know there's no competing with you."

It's not an exaggeration. Maggie is the reason the word rubbernecking was invented. It could be because of her shiny brown curls, dark eyes or, possibly, her perfect butt-to-boob ratio. The little grey dress and black Chucks she's wearing give her appeal a somewhat casual-rock flair.

She drags the mascara brush along my lashes one last time to finish the smokey look and then smiles. "Believe me, with the way you look right now, you're gonna have the pick of the litter. I'll have to make do with your scraps."

I chuckle and shake my head. "Perhaps in a parallel universe. In this one, I'm getting married tomorrow."

"Don't remind me." She glances at her watch. "We need to go or we'll be late."

I take another look at myself in the mirror and close the top button again. The skirt is more daring than I would normally wear but the white blouse gives it a conservative feel.

"Sure." I roll my eyes jokingly. "let's go celebrate my last night of freedom."

She sighs but doesn't comment, not tonight. It's fair to say, Maggie wasn't exactly thrilled about my engagement. She doesn't understand why a twenty-one year old would decide to get married. I don't blame her. We differ like night and day. She is cool and fun, and I'm bland and boring. Whereas my nights are spend with reading or playing Yahtzee with David, her nights are filled with music, laughter and drunken adventures.

She invited me to come along often but since I always declined, she stopped asking. I wanted to, but what is a girl like me going to do at some wild party? Her friends wouldn't like me. Besides, David would never approve.

None of it matters anymore. Married life starts tomorrow. And why not? Marriage was always the plan. We might as well get it over with.

I repress the thoughts and focus on the road. We left Maggie's place a short while ago. She's driving us to a venue named The Roxx. Since I had no idea what would be fun to do—not that there are many options in this town—Maggie decided we go see some new band she heard about.

A sly smile appears on her face when she stops the car and puts it in neutral. "Ready for your bachelorette party?"

I laugh at the word. There won't be much of a bachelorette party. It's not like I have tons of friends. "As long as there won't be any strippers."

Her brows go up and down repeatedly. "Let's find out."

She's probably joking, but I can't shake the nerves. The center of attention is not where I'm most comfortable. I follow her to the building, catching my reflection in one the of large windows. Fear creeps up on me. If David knew where I am—or worse, what I'm wearing—he would show up and drag me back.

Hmm. Not really a heart-warming thought to have on your pre-wedding night. Perhaps I was so busy looking for signs, I forgot about flags. Red ones. Should I—

"Identification, please." A large man with his arms crossed over his chest blocks the entrance.

The stoic look on his face makes me gulp. A little nervous, I rummage through my bag.