Chapter twenty-seven

Tex nuzzles his nose in my neck. "Turn it off. It's the middle of the night."

Unfortunately, he's wrong. I've been awake for a few minutes, dreading the awful sound. I tried to enjoy the way our bodies fit perfectly; how good it feels to wake with his arm around my waist and his chest against my back. A lovely sensation ruined by the fact that it will never happen again.

I turn off the alarm on my phone and gently squeeze his hand. "It's not night, it's morning. We have to get up or I'll miss my flight."

His muscles stiffen before he basically jumps out of bed. Without as much as a word, he enters the bathroom and shuts the door. A second later, the shower runs.

With a big sigh, I get out of bed too. There's not much time left, I had set the alarm as late as possible. I mindlessly grab a pair of jeans and a shirt and dress myself. After that, I fold Tex' clothes and pack his bag. I decide to keep my hair down and my lashes free of mascara. It might be best not to arrive in Faroaks looking like a sad raccoon.

Just when I slip my shoes on, Tex steps out the bathroom, wearing nothing but a towel around his hips. I snap several mental images in case I need them to warm me when I feel cold and alone.

I've seen quite a few good-looking men these past two weeks but none of them came close to Tex. Not a single one turned my blood into liquid sugar.

He rummages through his bag. Probably to find a clean shirt. That means he's seconds away from dropping his towel. Three days ago, this would've been a perfect reason to linger. Today, though, it's best if I don't.

Before I do something irrational—like jump him clingy-cat style—I dash into the bathroom and hide. My fingers clutch the sink, my eyes on the copper faucet.

I can do this. If I just focus hard enough, I can leave him. We ended it last night in a way that could've been described as lovemaking, if we were actual lovers. I have to see it for what it was. We had a good run, a lot of fun and great sex. That's all it was. Developing a crush on him was silly and naïve. He's been very clear about not wanting to date me, or anyone.

This is it.

I put my toiletries back into the shower bag and wait two more minutes before facing him. Can't risk him being half naked.

When I return, he's dressed. It doesn't really help. After all, I took mental images of his gorgeous body. And let's be real, I stored full-length videos in my head of his naked full-length.

I try not to appear sad when I face him. "Ready?"

He nods and takes our bags. After we made the sex-pact, talking to him became easy. Yet now, I have no idea what to say. He doesn't seem too talkative either. He frowns all the way down to the lobby and a little more once we are outside.

The silent walk toward the airport is slowly killing me. Maybe some small talk? "I'm sorry you have to pick up your other bags at the studio today."

"It's okay. My apartment is close to the studio, anyway."

His apartment.

Somehow, where he lives, exactly, never crossed my mind. I know there's not a girl waiting for him, but how about dust bunnies? What kind of furniture decorates his place? I'm sure it's a real man cave with wicked guitars and metal doors. The fact that I'll never truly know breaks my heart.

Once we enter the departure hall, I take my phone from my pocket and check the time. Thirty minutes left before boarding. It's best to end this now. I don't want him to see me stumble through security, trying to fight my tears. What to say, though?