Chapter ten

The vault

Strange name for a building that is almost entirely made of glass. We arrived at the venue half an hour ago. The ride itself was uneventful but guilt kept creeping up.

Tex didn't rely on me to keep my distance. No, he made sure of that himself. Not only from me, also from the rest. We moved like opposite magnets; always a charged distance between us.

The last thing I want is to be a nuisance. Maybe Tex will lighten up when he sees I can pull my weight. How, though? Obviously, I can't help him, Axel and Joey with the sound check they are doing at the moment.

I scan the parking lot. Santiago and Elijah are carrying equipment, discussing technical matters while doing so. I can't help with that either. How to be of service?

Roy stands close to the back door entrance, overseeing everything to make sure it all goes according to plan. He shouts something in his phone before putting the device in his pocket.

This is my chance.

I quickly close the distance. "Hey, Roy."

He turns to me, smiling genuinely. "Ellie, what can I do for you?"

He's quite a bit older than the rest. Mid-thirties, I'd say. He's dressed differently too—sneakers and jeans, but also a dress shirt with rolled up sleeves. A few silver strains peek through his dark hair. There is something sophisticated yet boyish about him.

I return his smile warmly. "I haven't really talked to you about me being on tour with you guys. I guess, I wanted to make sure it's okay with you."

Without answering, he turns his face and holds his chin between his thumb and index finger. I follow his gaze and find Tex smoking a cigarette, leaning against the side of the building. A lonely butterfly moves in my stomach.

Roy must have noticed the change in Tex' behavior. As manager, he must think I'm endangering the tour's success. He faces me again. "I think it might be a good thing actually."

Really?

A good thing?

I have no idea why he would think that, but I'm glad he does. A little too excited, I clap my hands together. "I wouldn't dare to take advantage of your hospitality. Please, tell me how I can help out."

He chuckles. "Merch."

Before I can ask him what that means, he shouts for Santiago to come over. I sort of thought Roy was going to ask me to clean the bus or something but working with Santiago sounds like fun.

A curious looking Santiago jogs up to us. "What's up?"

Roy nods at me. "Ellie is going to help with the merchandise. Show her around, will you?"

Santiago accompanies his wide smile with a high-five. "Hell yeah!"

I return the gesture with the same excitement and follow him to the bus. He reaches for a carton box in the luggage space and hands it to me. "It shouldn't be too heavy. It only contains stacks of shirts."

I chuckle. "I think I'm strong enough to carry a box of clothes."

We make our way inside to the merch stand and hang up some shirts for display. The stand is really just a large table with two chairs and some more boxes behind it.

Santiago tapes a price list onto the wood for customers to see. Since I'm not familiar with the prices, he hands me one as well. "It's pretty self-explanatory. The boxes are marked with the different sizes. Just grab the one the costumer asks for and take care of the transaction." He grins mischievously. "I'm guessing you know how to count?"