Chapter eight

How much time has passed? I would've known, if I had actually turned my phone on. Thoughts of calling David keep slipping to the background.

Tex, however ... He's like one of those annoyingly catchy tunes that sticks to your brain like super glue. One of those songs you just have to sing out loud in order to get it out of your head.

What does that mean? Should I kiss him again? To get him out of my head?

Absolutely not!

That would be a terrible idea. He doesn't like me at all and I find his personality hard to deal with. He's rude, snappy and obviously not glad to see me again.

I stare at the black screen of my phone and tap my fingers on the table. The nervous rhythm is starting to agitate me. Calling David would be the decent thing to do, but I really don't want to. If I do, he will use his stern voice on me. The one laced with utter disappointment. The same one that convinced me to stay with my parents during college instead of living in the dorms like I wanted to.

The air suddenly seems too thick. Screw it! I'll call him tomorrow. I'm in dire need of some stargazing. Still wearing Tex' clothes, I leave the bus.

Where to go?

The parking lot is empty, loud music booms through the walls. They're still performing. Good. That means we're not leaving yet.

When I look to my right, I find William doing some stretch exercises in front of the bus, cigar tucked between his lips. I chuckle and head left to the small playground on the other side of the street. Why did they even build it here? There are no houses close by. Only some small factories and car shops.

I shrug and hop over the hip-high metal fence. The only options are a rickety-looking seesaw and a lonely swing set. It's not a choice, really.

With my butt on the swing seat and my hands gripped around the chains, I lean back and gaze at the stars. The beautiful night sky is cloudless and filled with twinkling dots.

Last time I really stargazed, I wasn't nearly as excited as I am now. Last time, my shoulders felt heavy. This time, however, I feel as free as a bird.

A bird?

It didn't take my mind long to circle back to Tex. How could it not? That story Axel told me didn't satisfy my curiosity. If anything, it piqued my interest more than ever.

To distract myself, I lean all the way back so my feet stick in the air and my hair touches the ground. I'm not sure why, but I'm grinning widely. The starlit sky suddenly changes for a grimace.

Or is he smiling?

"What are you doing?" Tex holds onto the chains as well, looking down on me. It's hard to read his upside-down face, but he doesn't seem overly annoyed.

Strange.

Very aware of the fact that his body is but an inch away from my face, I keep my eyes on his. "I was looking at the stars. They seem brighter than they usually do."

He raises a brow and then looks skyward. Unwillingly—definitely unwillingly—I tip my head backwards so I can sneak a peek under the hem of his shirt.

Swedish Fish!

The skin is inked like his arms and it looks very ... touchable? Just when I redirect my gaze, he looks down again.

Did he notice my indecent staring?

He shrugs. "They look the same to me."

His eyes darken when they start to wander over my body. To hide my flustered expression, I quickly rise, only to feel something tug at my hair. "Let go of my—"