Chapter two

Fresh air is just what I need. It is a nice June night; not too cold and not too warm. For a couple of minutes, I watch the branches on the trees across the street sway in the wind. There is no sound but the rustling of leaves. I hoped the quietness would make me feel calmer, but the thoughts in my head only echo louder. My wedding day is only an hour away. The thought doesn't fill me with glee. Instead, my stomach does all kinds of nervous somersaults.

Just keep breathing.

Why does the idea of getting married feel like the end instead of the beginning? Do all brides-to-be feel this way?

I should just trust David. He has our life planned out and—aside from Maggie—everyone seems to think that getting married is the right thing to do. It's not as if I have a solid plan myself.

I can do this.

I have to do this.

Feeling a little bit more in control of myself again, I start walking, but when I take a turn around the corner, the entire cast of Cirque Du Soleil decides to, simultaneously, do an exciting backflip down my gut.

Jiminy Cricket!

With his back and one foot perched against the wall, he smokes a cigarette and stares into the darkness in front of him. He's got that moody-broody thing going on. A deep frown is set above his eyes. What could a man like that be thinking about?

Since I don't want to get caught staring at this handsome stranger, I force my feet to go. Keep my eyes on the ground and walk past him or acknowledge his presence? I don't want to come across as rude.

When I'm only a couple feet away, he looks up. The sudden eye-contact dazzles me. This would be the perfect opportunity to say something polite or even normal. None of that happens because all I manage to do is gulp and dash.

He hollers after me. "Wait a sec!"

Uh-uh.

He's not talking to me. Why would he?

With quick strides, I head for the entrance of the community park but a tall figure circles around me and blocks me from continuing my stride.

"Didn't you hear me?"

Loud and clear.

His voice is magnetic. It draws me in like a helpless moth to a flame. Not to mention the fact that he's even more handsome up close.

Somehow, I find my voice. "I'm sorry, I didn't know you were talking to me."

He looks around the clearly empty street. "Yeah, okay."

My fingers fumble nervously. "Uhm—anything I can help you with?"

His gaze rests on my chest for a moment before he frowns at me like he's insulted. "You know, it's kinda weird how you just fled in the opposite direction."

I know.

Fabricate a white lie? Yes.

I look at the tree behind him, hiding my slight deceit. "I didn't flee. I suddenly remembered I wanted to go through the park."

He obviously doesn't believe me but doesn't call me out on it either. "Where are you going anyway?"

"Home."

"Why?" His brows pull together. "It's Friday and not even midnight. Didn't you like the show?"

What's going on here?

Why is he talking to me?

I find a steady tone and just go with it, feeling a genuine and big smile stretch across my cheeks. "The show was great. I never heard music like that before, but it was very nice. You're a very talented singer, or screamer. I'm not sure what it is you were doing."