Chapter forty-four

Tex pops his head around the doorframe. "Why are you all dressed up like that?"

The better question is ... why is he still in sweats? We're already late. "Charlotte's birthday. Remember?"

"Fuck." He sighs and runs his hand down his face. "I forgot about that."

"Well, get dressed so we can go." I slip in my new hoop-earrings and check my appearance in the bathroom mirror. Not too shabby, if I say so myself.

He follows me into the bedroom. "I can't go out tonight. I have an early meeting tomorrow with a graphic designer. We're getting our logo redone."

He did mention that. I just didn't think it meant we had to cancel. "We don't have to stay long. We'll be home before midnight."

"Don't lie." He watches me with crossed arms and a heavy frown while I trade my everyday-bag for my leather purse. "When you're drunk there's no way you wanna leave early."

I sigh and turn to him. "Why are you getting agitated? We promised to be there."

"Yeah, so? I don't owe them shit."

His snappy tone is an improvement to his quiet staring. Ever since our Hollywood date, he's been absent and distant. I understand it was difficult, but I'm not used to this type of melancholy. I need some air, a little fun. "I'm going. I could use a night out."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

I pass him into the hall and put my shoes on. "Maybe you're not the only one who needs some space. Does it even matter if I'm here? You hardly talk to me anyway."

His fingers gently clasp my upper arm, pulling me up from my squatted position. "That's bullshit. I've sat next to you every evening."

He lost the frown but the blank look on his face isn't much better. It seems my presence doesn't bring as much joy as it used to. I want to be here for him, but I don't know how. I don't even know if he still truly wants me in his life.

I rub my hand on his arms and smile with sympathy. "If you're not feeling well, I can—"

"Never mind." He shakes my hand off. "You're right, I could use an evening to myself. You should go."

I doubt. "Are you sure?"

"Yeah, it's fine. We've been on each other's skin for too long. I'll see you when I see you."

It doesn't feel right to go, but I kiss his cheek and then open the front door, looking over my shoulder. "I'll be home before you wake."

He sighs again, tiredly. "No drugs, okay?"

I nod quickly and with sincerity. "I promise."

After what happened to that girl, I don't want him to worry all night. I'll just have a few drinks, a little fun and then go home. I don't like leaving Tex like that, but what else can I do? Clinging to his side didn't help. Matching his mood with silent gloom didn't help. Maybe a night apart will change things around.

Charlotte place is only a couple blocks away. The door is ajar but there's no music playing and everyone seems ready to leave.

"Ellie!" Charlotte beams brightly. "Where's Tex?"

I give her a quick hug. "He has a meeting tomorrow."

She doesn't seem to mind, linking arms with mine. "His loss. There's a change of plans. We're going to a rave. Johnny is DJ-ing."

Maybe it's best to go home. On the other hand, I don't want to smother Tex with my constant presence. I've come to realize that it's backfiring. If he needs space, I'll give him that. I'm sure I can find my way back before midnight.