𝙏𝙍𝘼𝙄𝙉𝙄𝙉𝙂 𝘾𝘼𝙈𝙋 𝙋𝙏.𝟯

WARNING: blood, gore

_______________________

Kou still remembers the day she'd decided to become a hero.

It was at Daisuke's funeral, a couple weeks after he was killed. It was a pretty big service; he'd been a popular guy. Friends and family filled the room, and Kou could barely recognize anyone. Apparently Daisuke's sister-Kou's half sister-had been there too, but she hadn't noticed. She was too busy trying not to explode.

Her brother had just died - and it felt like she was the only one who really cared. Sure, people were grieving and mourning his loss, but it's like they ignored the fact that he was murdered in cold blood and no one was doing anything about it.

She'd clenched her fists so hard that day her nails dug into the flesh of her palm and cut the skin open. She hadn't cried- she couldn't. She was angry .

Daisuke had always told her to strive for more, to want more than what life had offered her. If there was one thing he taught her, it was that it was never too late to change. Daisuke had turned his life around after prison, wanting to do something he was proud of for once. He was finally getting on track before it had been torn away from him in only a matter of seconds.

Daisuke was dead . He was gone, forever. He wasn't coming back. The only person Kou had ever looked up to, ever trusted- was gone. And that made her so, so angry.

Why hadn't those heroes done anything? Why didn't they call for help sooner? Why couldn't they be bothered to find the people who did this? Why didn't they care?

Kou decided that day she was going to make Daisuke proud. She was going to become the hero he always wanted to be, the hero he deserved. She wasn't going to be cast aside anymore- she wanted to be seen.

But deciding to become a hero and actually being one were two very different things.

Kou had one flaw (among many others) that prevented her from being a true hero: she was a selfish coward.

When she saw people getting beat up or robbed on the street, she'd keep walking faster. When she saw someone getting bullied, she turned a blind eye. She didn't see a point in involving herself in other people's problems; that's how she'd been raised.

She could stand up for herself and the few people she cared about with no problem, but when it came to total strangers she found it hard to act heroically.

Kou honestly didn't know if she even believed in 'true' heroes: the good, pure, altruistic and courageous idols they portrayed themselves to be on TV- did they even really exist?

Kou didn't know the answer to that, but at this moment she wished more than anything that she could be one.

It was supposed to be a normal night: it was their third day at the training camp, and 1-A had been assigned to pairs to walk through the forest for a 'test of courage' at the hands of 1-B. It was supposed to be a dumb activity she'd breeze through so she could finally sleep after a long day of training.

Her and Izuku had been walking idly through the dark woodland, talking about nothing. Just as soon as she found herself relaxing, they'd come under attack by the League of Villains, who had somehow infiltrated their summer camp despite all the safety precautions taken.

They rushed back to the main site as soon as possible, meeting up with the Pussycats and some of their classmates. "Why are there villains here?!" Mineta screamed, "I thought they made doubly sure!"

Kou was looking around frantically for her friends, but the absence of a certain kid had both her and Midoriya panicking: " Kota! "