Chapter 4: Apologizing

Regarding the issue of whether she should go console her little brother or apologize to Zhongli Luo first, Rong Jiahui gives it a tiny amount of consideration. Her own baby bro she understands the most, as there’s simply nothing that can’t be resolved with a piece of candy, but Zhongli Luo…

She actually doesn’t understand a thing about him. They once shared the same roof for such a long time yet paid no heed to each other, her acting as if she was high above the rest and feeling that the whole world had to bow to her, and she always hated seeing his cold face, thinking that he was nothing more than an irrelevant person who was always getting in the way of her eyesight, and he… also loved to avoid her…

It’s pretty likely that if she hadn’t run into such a bizarre event and knew what Zhongli Luo’s future looks like, she wouldn’t find the mind to care about him like this today, nor be so rough with her precious brother, but… she really doesn’t want to go to the Liu family for a life of neglect. Priceless treasures are easy to get while good husbands are the rarest thing; there’s plenty of pampered princes of similar social status in the capital, so it’s not like she couldn’t find a better household to get married off to if she wanted. It’s just that she feels Zhongli Luo would be even better, the reason for which she can’t say even if she was forced to.

Really now, apart from her older male cousins, she basically has no understanding of any other men. Both cousins of hers are truly outstanding and she had always looked up to them as older brothers, but they later on fell deeply in love and got happily married… okay, that’s no excuse. The main excuse is that she doesn’t get on well with her female cousins, especially that Yu Yixiang. Ruling out her male cousins, the only one staying at her home at present is Zhongli Luo, whose future knows no bounds. She has the opportunity to understand him, and grab a nice hold of him…

She is seriously two-faced, huh. Her nose stings, and a strange, indescribable wave of guilt crashed into her, nearly knocking the wind out of her lungs. No matter what Rong Jiaze does or says, they’re siblings, and he’s still her little brother. Would his hatred even survive the night? The day after, would he not be sweetly calling her Big Sis as he did before?

With that thought in mind, she kneaded her aching nose, told the maid to put the watermelon she was afraid of looking at in the food box and pack it with ice, and lifted herself up to catch up to the place in the courtyard where Zhongli Luo had gone to.

The blazing sun beating down on her head, sweat drenched her back even with a maid holding a parasol for her. Where Zhongli Luo was staying was so far away from her… really, this house is big enough to cause sorrow.

Finally arriving at the at the entrance with great difficulty, Shuang Jiang knocked on the door, and boyservant with an unsightly expression opens it. Seeing the round little face of the maiden under the parasol, he immediately stared. Though he’d never seen Rong Jiahui, he can guess who she is pretty well right now.

He promptly stepped aside and said, “Please come inside, Young Mistress.”

Shuang Jiang found him somewhat familiar, and seeing how the boy looked right now, asked with some curiosity, “I seem to remember you being Afu of Zhao Jinxi’s family. What happened? Who’s made you unhappy?”

The distressed boyservant called Afu hurriedly shook his head. “It’s nothing, nothing at all.”

As Zhao Afu didn’t want to talk about it, Shaung Jiang didn’t bother him with further questioning. They hadn’t even walked a few steps in when they saw a 15-year-old maid carrying tea emerge from the study, dissatisfaction on her face.

Shuang Jiang is good with people and happens to know this maid’s name, so when she sees Rong Jiahui seeming to be somewhat mistrusting, she promptly opens her mouth to call out, “Big sis Chun Tao!”