Chapter 30: Delirium

Watching Zhongli Luo be incoherent with fever, only knowing how to call out her name and breaking out in a cold sweat also has Jiahui burning with anxiety. She wanted nothing more than to break free, but this sick chick’s arms were tightly enclosed around her neck– why won’t she let go? Being so strong even in her illness, she’s really not like a woman at all.

Jiahui had no choice but to say sweet words as if she were coaxing a child. “Be good and let go. If you do, big sis will go buy you something sweet.”

“Jiahui…” She ignored her, only continuing to call for her.

Jiahui sighed. Sheesh… so long as she hears Zhongli Luo use that weak and gentle tone to call out to her, her heart will soften up. Using a great amount of effort, she lifts her head up and gazes into the darkness, able to make out an outline of Zhongli Luo’s face. She’s really good-looking. She’s well aware that even back then, she’d always thought her to be good-looking, lean, and refined, thinking that maybe she’d go take the imperial examination and be a scholar, only for her to go in the opposite direction and be a soldier. On one hand, she’d been a bit happy back then — it was great that that autumn wind was gone — and on the other, she despised Zhongli Luo’s idiocy. Is studying properly not better than going to suffer somewhere really far away? Running off to the desolate and perilous Northwest means that it’s likely no one can even send the corpse back!

In reality, though, the idiot has always been her.

Every time Zhongli Luo was before her, she always seemed to have a bit of a naive air — and she truly was naive — yet seemed as if nothing could break her and she could hold up the sky. Unveiling such a frail look for the first time today inevitably makes her feel some pity for her.

She might forget every once in a while, but the other is actually a girl. She should be like her and dress herself up prettily on the daily, yet she doesn’t know the feeling of being a girl at all. She has no idea if Zhongli Luo feels any injustice in her heart about all that, or whether she’s sad, but she does feel very sorry for her right now.

She touched the other’s face, both hands feeling out Zhongli Luo’s scrunched-up brows. Using her warm and soft fingers, she gently pressed down, wanting to smooth them out.

She could sense that Zhongli Luo’s clothes were currently soaked through with sweat. The weather’s starting to warm up recently, but it hasn’t gotten to the extent where people can sleep in wet clothes.

She exhaled gently, grabbing her rigid Zhongli Luo-hoop and trying to pull it apart for a very long time…

And she gives up, resigned to her fate. “Be good and let go! I’m going to change your clothes, otherwise they’ll be uncomfortable for you to sleep in.”

Yet Zhongli Luo is like a chunk of metal on her, not letting go for the life of her.

Jiahui calmly competes with her, but unfortunately, half a day later, she didn’t struggle free from her, only thrashing about until she was as coated in sweat as Zhongli Luo was.

This girl…!

“Zhongli Luo, you need to let up! I’m not going to hurt you! I want to help you! If you burn up and die, you can’t blame me!”

Jiahui had used up all of her strength. Noticing that Zhongli Luo’s hands still hadn’t budged, she got a bit desperate.

Huffing, she went and broke an already cracked jar. “If you keep not letting go, then you better believe I’m going to harass you!”

What girl in this day and age isn’t afraid of harassment? She doesn’t believe Zhongli Luo will still be unmoved.

A shame that the unconscious other girl doesn’t seem to hear her and still doesn’t give any response.