Chapter 29: I'm Here

Jiahui wanted to pull her hand off, but half a day later, it still hadn’t budged. She really is a great general; injured and almost drowned, yet still so strong right now!

Noticing that the people before her immediately started to unveil somewhat skeptical expressions, Jiahui had no better option than to sob again and keep making stuff up. “This… this one can’t swim, but her husband is… is a good swimmer… after we were thrown off by the bandits, he pulled this one through, not letting her drown. He’s fainted now, and probably… probably thinks we’re still in the water, and wants to save her…”

Weeping miserably as she talked, Jiahui can’t help but admire herself. Her hanging around the back of her home for a lifetime is a exceptional waste of her talent. Ah, she should go write a novel. Those have always been made up stories by extremely pedantic scholars since time immemorial anyways, and she conjured up a bunch of nonsense just then. Is that not the same thing?

The people saw her weeping and sniveling and were successfully fooled once again, only thinking that the deep bond of this married couple was genuinely touching.

As a result, Jiahui still had to endure the hardship of dragging Zhongli Luo along. Though nothing leaves her mouth, she’s already mentally using every curse she knows to viciously give Zhongli Luo a good scolding.

As the group went along, the hunter asked her again, “Little lady, what do you go by?”

Jiahui stared, then answered after a slight thought. “This one’s husband is surnamed Li, and his single courtesy is Zhong. This one’s maiden name is Jia. You may call this one Li Zhong’s wife.”

Jiahui is on a seldomly-strong sense of alertness, her worries boundless, and she doesn’t dare to currently say their real names and surnames. She turned the characters Zhongli (钟离) around and changed them to Li Zhong (李忠), and for her, she changed the pronunciation of Jia (嘉, jiā) to another Jia (贾, jiǎ). It’s pretty clever for being complete bogus.

“Ah, okay.” The hunters didn’t sense anything amiss from that.

After they all entered the village, Rong Jiahui and Zhongli Luo were invited to the home of the one who said they had a vacant room. Jiahui had just docilely laid her on the bed when she heard something from outside the doorway, “Goudan [1], have you come back?”

Afterwards, they saw an old woman of about 50 years of age come in. Jiahui tapped her foot to think, guessing that this was probably that hunter’s mother.

Fearing that they’d be driven away, she wiped her tears and flung herself to hug the lady’s thighs, crying as she spoke of the crime her Zhongli Luo had suffered.

The old madam had just gone through the door and had spontaneously acquired more weight on her legs, then heard a bout of tearful complaining, and couldn’t break out of her daze for a very long time. Jiahui noticed the other being struck dumb and quickly changed her attitude, looking at the old lady with sparkling, gratitude-filled eyes, as if the person before her was Guanyin’s reincarnation.

“That this one and her husband could escape danger is all thanks to the help of you good-hearted people! Amitabha, thank you for your kindness and mercy, we would have likely died over there otherwise…”

Hearing all that she’d said so conscientiously, if the lady who wasn’t even thinking to drive them away at all actually wanted to do so, she’d probably be unable to say so anymore.

Jiahui succeeded in getting to stay from her sky-startling, earth-moving banshee wails. She also asked and learned that this village was named Liujia, and the origin of the name is obvious; most of the people here are surnamed Liu (刘).