Chapter 28: Soft

The wind is strong, drifting Jiahui’s boat further away. She held onto the sail for dear life, the many bloodstains on her face fusing with her tears, making large and intricate patterns.

“Help me! Save me! Mom! Dad! Grandma! Zhongli! Cousins! Aunt! Uncle! Where are you?! Save me!” She shouted herself hoarse as she cried.

What poor luck she has. Any route she takes equals misfortune. This is a wide lake and she’s a non-swimming, dry duck, simply not a mallard at all. As for rowing, she can’t say that she hasn’t the strength for it, but she doesn’t see a paddle anywhere, so how could she row it…?

She can only grab hold of this shabby boat right now, living or dying with it. But even if it can eventually float to shore, what is she going to do when she gets there?

These disheartening thoughts aren’t things she wants. She stood for so long that her legs went numb, thusly deciding it would be better to take a rest before resuming the fun of survival again. She supports herself on the sail, trying to crouch down for a moment, but her feet slip out from under her legs…

When it rains, it pours. A slow ship meeting the wind is everything, but in Jiahui’s current opinion, it’s not worth anything at all. She flopped into the water, saw the boat wasn’t too far yet, and did everything she could to reach out, grab it, and climb back up. As bad luck would have, her hard work ended with her throwing herself at nothing.

There’s only one thought in her mind right now, and it’s that she’s really done for…

She should have looked at the Yellow Calendar when she left. This time, she really is going to die abroad, far away from her hometown. She isn’t much afraid of death – it’s not like she hasn’t died before – but she just misses Zhongli Luo a bit. Apart from that, she doesn’t feel much. No regrets, no despair. If she must say something, then she still has some lack of resignation to it all; in her last life, she muddled through a bad existence depending entirely on that Liu family, and in this one, she was killed by her own over-acting brain.

It’s all Zhongli Luo’s fault! Always staying out here and not coming back to see her and never sending letters. She just misses him! Thinking about him during the day, thinking about him all night, thinking about him all day long! In her world, it’s as if she’s lonely even in her loneliness. She saw each of her friends get married and have kids and her heart got stuffed up.

Wen Anying’s saying to kidnap him back was exactly what she wanted, and in order to meet the one in her heart in person, she’ll travel however many li away. That’s how she is by nature. When she said she’d make the preemptive strike, she turned around and tried to curry Zhongli Luo’s favor at every point, and this time was the same; she said she’d go so she’s gone, with no shred of hesitation! Would she really have to wait until Zhongli Luo returns in glory at age twenty-seven?!

Zhongli Luo… she really missed him!

She’s aware that she won’t be living on. In a very short instant, past events go by like a rotating lantern, replaying over and over again in her mind. The Zhongli Luo of her last life and the Zhongli Luo of this life are superimposing on each other, flashing between the two before her eyes, dazing her until she can no longer distinguish them…

“Jiahui!”

Hm? Is someone calling for her? Seems like… Zhongli Luo’s voice. Ah… she really is dying, and quick, to have this moment of auditory hallucination. He’s still on the Northwestern battlefield. How could he be showing up in this area?

“Jiahui!”

Accompanying this sound was Jiahui, who was rapidly losing consciousness, getting pulled into a warm embrace, and her head was once more above the surface of the lake.