Chapter 34: Settling In

“So this is the legendary Northwest border. It’s incredible.”

Jiahui looked on inquisitively at the endless grassland and the bright halo of day hanging in the azure sky above, her big, shining black eyes filled with uninhibited astonishment.

The eternal hustle and bustle and countless buildings and pavilions of the capital are what she’s used to, and never has she seen such a vast sky. It makes her feel that the world is so big while she’s so small, an itty-bitty speck of dust.

Zhongli Luo had to return straight to her superiors after coming back with her, not even having the time to drop her off in person to the place she was staying at. She had no choice but to reluctantly go along with several of Zhongli Luo’s personal soldiers to her allocated residence.

It wasn’t even a few steps in when they ran into an old friend. That somewhat simple-looking, dark-faced man also caught sight of them. “Hey, Sun Tongfang, where’s General Zhong? Why aren’t you with him? And who’s this young lady?”

From Jiahui’s side, the soldier named Sun Tongfang sighed. “Deputy Tan, my General’s surname is Zhongli. General Zhongli.”

Tan Jun waved it off. “Yeah, I know, I know, I’m just not used to calling him that. I’m not wrong, anyways.”

Sun Tongfang mentally snarled at him. How are you not wrong?!

Taking in that the eighth-rank Minor Officer before her seemed to be very familiar with Zhongli Luo, Jiahui smiled and butt into the conversation. “Are you asking about me, Deputy Tan? I’m the fiancée of the one you call General Zhongli. My surname is Rong.”

The eighteen-year-old woman was covered in dust due to travel and her face was pale from the wind, but the way she smiled was as brimming with vitality as always.

Ah, this is the legendarily stunning beauty. What makes Tan Jun slightly disappointed is that though she’s genuinely pretty, she’s a few steps shy of actually stunning. She isn’t even as good as Cen Biling’s flower-like looks, but… the way she looks when she smiles is still completely lovable.

“You’re… that fiancée he’s always thinking about?” Tan Jun said with some surprise.

Jiahui immediately latched onto the very important words of ‘always thinking about’! Her thoughts about her sweeten up. How unexpected that this person wouldn’t show things on the outside yet is concerned about her on the inside.

“Is she really fretting so much about me?” She asks with some embarrassment.

“He is!” He pointed to where Zhongli Luo’s home was at as he spoke. “Miss Rong, let’s talk as we walk. It’s really windy out here.”

“Okay!” She agreed without reservation. “Then you keep on talking, Deputy Tan.”

“Ah, every time he gets a letter from you, he giggles like a special kind of idiot. He also thinks that his laughs are very proper and dignified and elegant, but when it falls in the eyes of everyone else they think that he’s suddenly started convulsing.”

Imagining Zhongli Luo’s spastic giggle inevitably makes Jiahui laugh, too. It must be very cute to look at. What a real shame she didn’t get to see.

“What else, what else?” She looked at him expectantly.

“Ah, what else… so long as he gets your letter, he’ll be a lot gentler to others. He can be strict, ordinarily.”

“Really?”

“Really, really, I swear on the Heavens, if he just glimpses something of yours, he looks… Gods, like the biggest fool I’ve ever seen, really, and if you’re ever mentioned he sings all kinds of praises about you.” The more he spoke, the more he exaggerated.