Chapter 16: Evening-Light Cup

The engagement between Rong Jiahui and the Liu family ended up being successfully annulled. Though Jiahui held confidence of her victory at first, she was always anxious and believed that they might have to go back and forth for a long time, only to end up being exceptionally pleased. Her parents truly do adore and love her as much as she thought they did, as after she had wiped her tears while telling them a mound of blatant lies, they firmly decided to cancel the engagement. How could they do the slightest bit of wrong towards this treasure in their possession? What their two families talked about in the end was unknown, but in short, after a period of time, the other party also agreed, and the families were as amiable as before.

It’s just that this matter still created a storm in the capital; a decade-or-so old marriage, for no reason, was withdrawn with speed that puts lightning to shame. Though the families hadn’t said anything, the masses’ ideas were awful. Why did the house of Marquis Zhenguo take the initiative to call it off? Why did Minister Liu readily agree? How is Young Mistress Rong? Or Young Master Liu? In a very small amount of days, everyone was already abuzz with the noise of weaving countless versions of the tale.

Yet there’s still no sound coming from the parties concerned. Rumors are just rumors in the end, and will be drowned out…

Today, after Rong Jiahui washed and dressed up, she went to partake in Yu Yixiang’s fifteenth birthday ceremony, the hairpin initiation. Of the two cousins, one was born at the end of the twelfth month and one was born at the beginning of first month. It’s said that Yu Yixiang is two years older than Rong Jiahui, when in reality, it’s only a little over one year. In the case of Yu Yixiang being the eldest legitimate daughter of a state Duke’s home, a huge undertaking for her fifteenth is only natural. Even the hairpin she was to wear was bestowed by the Queen Empress, which was a particular honor.

But Duke Jingguo’s household didn’t know a thing about the Rong-Liu families’ annulment and were filled with some amount of righteous indignation. In their eyes, even though the Rong family took the initiative on that, they were certain that the problem was all on the Liu family, and certain that that Liu prettyboy had offended their Jiahui! They wouldn’t go so far as to invite Madam Liu to get out during the ceremony, but they were secretly planning to throw out all the gifts the Lius had sent. Yu Yixiang had to take them to the side and talk up and down to get them to not do that.

During the family feast, Jiahui’s eldest aunt-in-law Mrs. Liang looked at Jiahui’s appearance and couldn’t help but feel sorry for her. “Come, Jiahui, eat a bit more. Look at you, you’ve gotten a lot thinner these days.”

Rong Jiahui smiled and nodded, mentally noting that she hadn’t seen any thinning out in these mere few days. If she really had gotten thin then it’d be great, because she got too excited these days and her appetite greatly increased. She’s really getting afraid that she’s going to eat herself into becoming a big fat girl someday.

The Old Madam heard this, and, recalling her cancelled marriage, can’t help but sigh. “Jiahui, come tomorrow, grandma will find you a better person.”

Her second aunt-in-law Mrs. Wen’s eyes shone, and she hurriedly smiled and advertised her own precious son. “Mum, I have a good idea. My reckless boy is similar in age to Jiahui, and though he’s a bit mischievous, he had a big crush on Jiahui when he was small. Our families know each other inside and out, and you could have your darling granddaughter attending at your side from time to time.”

Upon listening to that, Mrs. Liang also rushed to speak. “Little sister-in-law, my Zixun isn’t yet engaged either, but he’s the older brother and wouldn’t come rob from your Ziqing. Jiahui is a little mischievous herself, but my own childhood crush didn’t work out; I just hate that she isn’t my own daughter. If she was our family’s young lady, she would certainly be the sort of maiden I’d cherish fondly.”