Chapter 42: The Bridal Chamber

When the young ladies of other families get married, they get carried off in a marriage sedan by their brothers, yet Young Mistress Rong Jiahui of Marquis Zhenguo’s Estate isn’t embarrassed at all that she was instead personally carried off by her groom. Listening to the noise everyone’s making, she’s only grateful that she can’t see everyone’s teasing faces right now.

The procession to send off the bride was ridiculously long. By the time the very front of the group had gone from one Marquis’s Estate to another, the very back of the line was still waiting to start moving.

The procedures for the wedding ceremony are also tragically long; they have to go down the carpet, step over a pot of fire [1], worship the heaven and earth, and enter the bridal chamber. These were all things that Jiahui had experienced in her past life, which spontaneously throws her thoughts and feelings into disarray. However, she only needed to glance at the different people around her before it all cleared up in an instant.

She was sitting in their bridal chamber alone, having driven everyone else out. There was no clamoring of people before her with their audible laughing and cheering. It was so quiet that it seemed like she could hear her own heartbeat.

She didn’t know how long she sat there until she heard the very subtle sound of someone was sneaking in, their footsteps extremely light as if they didn’t want to be discovered at all.

Jiahui knew that she was probably being shy, so she pretended to be deaf.

She quietly waited for the other to take the stupid thing off her head, but she ended up waiting until she was starting to fall asleep. That surname Zhongli still hadn’t moved a muscle.

Feeling exasperated, she speaks up. “Are you taking it off or not? If you won’t do it, I will!”

She started to reach up to lift her own veil.

Zhongli Luo rushed to stop her. “Don’t.”

“Then you hurry up and take it off. If it wasn’t for you saying you wanted to lift it, I never would have worn it. I’m going to suffocate to death.”

She thought of that very hot day in her last life, where she was wearing those wedding robes that looked delicate but were actually quite heavy, along with that stupid thing that weighed a thousand catties covering her head. She’d been stubborn ’til the end on that, resulting in her being covered with it all the whole night. She has no idea how she managed to endure it, as now she doesn’t want to suffer even a tiny bit.

Zhongli Luo somewhat timidly lifted her veil. Despite there being yet another cover plastered on thicker than a city wall would be, with lips so crimson that her original face couldn’t be seen at all anymore, she still felt moved by the sight.

As she had slowly, finally, lifted it away, Jiahui swiftly plucked the heavy thing off her head and had Zhongli Luo carry it off to the dresser. She then shed her gold-embroidered outer robe, making her whole body much lighter.

She washed her face, all the cosmetics dripping off and finally revealing her original features. Ah, that’s the way the world is; it’s the look a bride is to have, so there’s countless people with the same face. Were it not washed off, everyone would look the same.

After wiping her face dry, she sat on the bed, picked up the peanuts, longans, and lotus seeds off of the mattress, and started to peel and eat them as she complained. [2] “Ah, Luo-Luo, I was wearing such heavy stuf all day long, but I ate almost nothing! If it weren’t for that little punk Ah-Ze stealing a pastry for me, I probably would have starved to death by now.”

Zhongli Luo was exceedingly distressed upon hearing that. “Should I get a servant to get another pastry first, Jiahui? Or maybe they have some congee in the kitchen?”