Chapter 7: SPIDERS!!!

When the mother-child duo took their leave from Old Madam Duke Jingguo’s home, it was still early in the day. Where Grandpa was fooling around at, they didn’t know, and the sons of the house are all at clan studies.

With the trip to her grandmother’s house today involving gratuitous screwing about with her sisters, Rong Jiahui is a little tired. She fell down on the bed as soon as she entered her room, beginning to close her eyes to rest. She has to say, this thing made out of jade, even if it’s a summer mat that’s warm and glossy and not cold at all, is superbly comfy. Comfyyy. She was originally only wanting to take a nap, but she wasn’t careful and fell into a true sleep.

When she opened her eyes again, the moon had long ago replaced the sun.

She’s never been fond of others being in her room, so after the maids saw she was sleeping, they retired to keep watch at the door.

“Bai Lu, Shuang Jiang, Han Lu, Gu Yu.”

She shouted out the names of her personal maids, thinking that whoever’s outside would do to come wait upon her.

The door was soon pushed open with a creak. Bai Lu and Shuang Jiang went to her beside to help her up and prepared to change her clothes. At the same time, Gu Yu was again running in in a big display, pointing outside and saying, “Young Mistress, I heard from sister Li Chun who was at the Young Master’s side that… that he… seems to have gotten hit by Young Master Zhongli again! They say that it’s because someone stuck a tortoise note onto Young Master Zhongli’s back.”

Following Jiahui’s blank expression and flat ‘oh’, she said, “If Ah-ze’s going to keep running around recklessly offending him, then it serves him right.”

Gu Yu shook her head. “Nonono, I heard sister Li Chun say that it really wasn’t the Young Master’s doing this time, he swore it in front of several of our sisters.”

Jiahui smiled. “I say, when did you all start believing his words so much? That kid has a stomach full of crafty plans, and he doesn’t usually deal with Brother Zhongli much. Listen to me and don’t believe him. I can’t be acting as his weapon for him anymore.”

Gu Yu spoke again, “But I heard Dong Zhi from the Young Master’s side say that he had cried all day until his voice was hoarse and he sounded like a duck, his speech all clumsy.”

Until his voice was hoarse? Jiahui startled. Seems things are a bit more serious than she thought. What a coincidence that dinner should be going on at this moment – anything she needs to ask can be done at the table. After all, apart from breakfast, the Rong family typically eats together at it. When Jiahui arrived, the old man and woman hadn’t yet come. Zhongli Luo and Rong Jiaze are sitting on opposite sides of the table, neither of their faces looking very pretty.

Under the candlelight, Rong Jiaze’s eyes and tip of his nose are still red. Seems he really did have a dreadful cry, Rong Jiahui’s big sister heart clenching up in a flash.

She sat next to her younger brother and asked him, “Ah-Ze, what’s wrong with you now? I didn’t even see you cry this hard when dad’s parents passed on.”

Jiaze breathed in through his nose, then turned his head away. “You don’t need to care about it. We’re already not best friends.”

Jiahui resisted the urge to roll her eyes, poking his face. “Who’s your friend? I’m your big sister. Come, talk to me. What mischief have you been up to now?”

Jiaze’s lips pulled, and he pointed at Zhongli Luo with grievance. “He threw me down! For no reason! And I didn’t put the note on him, I still hadn’t done anything yet!”