Chapter 44: Missing

The Northwestern Xirongs were so badly beaten that they didn’t dare to try invading again, therefore meaning that there was no need for tight defenses in the Northwest. Zhongli Luo simply chose to stay in the capital like she was told, living a comfortable and easy life. With Jiahui by her side, she can just say that she doesn’t want to go anywhere, like her father-in-law that stays home all day with no obligations.

Though she knew that Rong Chen and Mrs. Yu were very fond of her, her heart was hurting from not being able to call them her sworn mother and father. Nowadays, she’s now a proper half-daughter of the Rong family – or, in their eyes, a half-son – and she can appropriately call them her parents.

It’s a true pity that they were only married for half a year when something happened in Jingzhou. While the prefecture’s Head Official was in office, he oppressed the citizens all year round, and where there’s oppression, there is rebellion. Jingzhou’s people were forced into dire straits, and after discussing it, they actually did rebel, killing the Official’s family, causing a huge uproar, and still thinking over whether or not to strike. Jingzhou isn’t far from the capital, and civil unrest isn’t a common, trivial matter that’s easy to solve. Didn’t the Founding Emperor stake his claim like that? As the Court currently has too many useless people in it, Zhongli Luo ended up getting sent off on a campaign.

Rong Jiahui accompanied Zhongli Luo all the way out to the city gate. It’s still cold out, so the former is wrapped in an imperial-purple outer robe with her frozen, pale face sticking out above its fur collar, making her look inexplicably childish.

“Come back soon!” She shouted from the city watchtower at Zhongli Luo’s gradually shrinking figure.

Zhongli Luo waved her hand from far away, indicating that she had heard.

Jiahui smiles.

At this moment, the maids urged her, “Madam, let’s return.”

She could no longer see Zhongli Luo’s figure, so she nodded, following them back down the wall.

Still, she’s a bit glum. This emperor… really loves to get between them. Why isn’t he just letting them live their days out peacefully in the safety of their home? He insists upon making her wife leave her all alone.

She couldn’t stand the loneliness of having no one else in the house, so she had no choice but to temporarily relocate to her parental home.

Her sister-in-law, Song Heng, gave birth to a handsome little nephew. Her dad’s happy, her mom’s happy, she’s happy, and Song Heng’s parents are happy, but Rong Jiaze is comparably not happy.

He stared all day long at this kid that was almost the spitting image of him when he was a child and didn’t feel good at all.

Jiahui is contrarily amused. She liked her little brother the most when he was a kid, but unfortunately, that little brother was fated to grow up. She didn’t much like this kid post-growing up into a bear, but this time she gets to see a little cutie, so of course she’s happy.

While Jiahui was having fun playing with her nephew, she turned around as saw Jiaze was looking at his own son with a gloomy face. She reached out and slapped him.

“Is that really your attitude towards Yuan’er?”

Yuan’er was born in January, so his grandfather had chosen that as a childhood nickname for him.