Chapter 9: Lots Of Copying

In the early morning, Rong Jiahui sat by the window, staring blankly countless times now at the white mutton-fat jade hairpin that had been sent back a few days ago. The best jewelry store in the entire capital deserves its status. Gold silk entwines with the white jade in a beautiful design, as refined as if this is how it always had looked.

It looks great.

There weren’t many people who knew of Zhongli Luo helping her get her hairpin back, and she deliberately repressed the matter afterwards. It ended up not passing into her parents’ ears, avoiding them getting some not-so-good ideas and feeling that their adopted son is getting way too close to their daughter.

A boy resolutely jumping into the water just to get a girl’s hairpin – the average person knows what that means. What extent could they think it still proper? Though… her parents understand Zhongli Luo’s nature, know that this is simply what he does on instinct, and that he’d do the same with someone else – they’ve been acquainted with him for over a month, after all. That’s saying nothing about how she’s a somewhat chubby little girl with an undeveloped physique, and she’s the only one who’s always thought herself a beauty unmatched in Heaven and on Earth.

She turns the pin about in her hand, and through the soft sheen of the jade, just for a vague moment, it seems like she once again sees Zhongli Luo’s pretty face.

Oi! What’s she thinking?! It’s like he fished up her soul instead of her hairpin, how ridiculous! She roughly pinched her own rotund face until there were red marks on it. She tells herself that she’s twelve right now, not twenty-four, and she should be ashamed thinking so much all day long!

However, she looked at the hairpin and thought pleasantly about it once more, it being what someone got drenched specifically for her sake for. Thinking of her previous life, because everyone knew of her childhood betrothal, she was doomed to have most of all those young noble sons to not go after and tease her. On the contrary, it was her few talented and pretty double-whammy female cousins that had their doorsteps worn out by the quick steps of matchmakers. For that reason, absolutely no one gives much attention to her at all, and otherwise would not do what that silly boy did now. She started to quiet her mind, but it’s really not an unbending future prospect!

But, well, she’s a girl. She covers her face as she thinks: what future prospects? After all, in this day and age, a girl’s life will have no more than three aspects; someone’s daughter, someone’s wife, someone’s mother…

That’s… really crummy. Thinking of that, her heart is – indescribably – quite a bit cold. She doesn’t like it, but… she can’t do anything about it. Shaking her head, she places the jade pin back into her jewelry box and sighs. She’d only managed to add to her worries again.

Night and day fly by like an arrow, time slips like water, and in the blink of an eye, the Mid-Autumn Festival on the fifteenth day of the eighth month has come. Their family is seated in the courtyard like so, eating moonish mooncakes.

Rong Jiaze took advantage his dad reciting moonish poems and, with his people parroting his actions, immersed himself in pigging out on the mooncakes. Suddenly, he had a fabulously delicious piece, and after two bites of it, he offered it up with both hands to his sister as if it were a priceless treasure. “Big sis, this one’s the sweetest and tastiest. You try it.”

Rong Jiahui looked at the remaining half of the mooncake with traces of saliva on it and couldn’t resist swatting him on the head. “Your head’s on backwards again, you little punk!”

Seeing that his thoughtfulness wasn’t given any room, Rong Jiaze silently continued nibbling upon his mooncake offering with pursed lips.

Mrs. Yu looked at her son eating so dejectedly, and she unkindly covered her mouth to stealthily snicker.