four

if blaise wouldn't give me drugs, i'd have to improvise. i waited until the corridor was clear before folding my wrist over, taking a deep breath and beginning to bang my wrist furiously off the wall.

it's harder than you'd think, to break a bone intentionally. i've broke my knee playing quidditch, my tailbone falling off my chair in potions and my pinky when lily accidentally dropped a cauldron on it, my past history really didn't prepare me for how sturdy they actually are. the brick had started to peel away at the skin on my wrist and i watched in annoyance as the blood ran down my arm. apart from the grazing, i had nothing but a few bruises to show for my wall smacking episode.

'luna' i hissed and she turned to smile at me brightly. i didn't bother saying anything else, grabbing her by the arm and pulling her into the supply cupboard. 'what are we doing in here? are we hiding from garden gnomes?' i hesitated, trying to think of an excuse until inspiration struck me. 'yes' i affirmed 'garden gnomes. and i made a deal with them, so i need you to break my wrist'. she looked at me for a second and i seriously doubted myself. what kind of person would take that half baked excuse and not immediately notice the millions of holes in it. 'okay' she pulled a hammer out of one of the toolboxes in the supply closet and smiled at me. huh. luna apparently.

'are you sure you're okay with this?' i checked. i was really starting to doubt if this was a good idea, throwing myself down the stairs seemed a much better option. i didn't want to scar luna for life. 'it's okay' she told me 'the garden gnomes will hurt you otherwise'. she gently took my hand and pressed it against the brick wall. great. now i was taking advantage of the resident crazy person, if this doesn't make me a bad person i don't know what does. i took a deep breath, nodding at her to tell her she was okay to do it, and then she brought the hammer down on my hand.

literally everything cracked.

when i say everything i mean everything.

it also hurt.

a lot.

it felt like she'd set fire to my hand, and the fire was slowly climbing up the nerve cells in my arm. 'you should- probably go' i said through gritted teeth, 'thanks'. luna hugged me quickly before leaving the cupboard and closing the door behind me, plunging me back into the total darkness. i figured i should wait at least five minutes or so until luna could get a decent way away, if anyone saw me coming out of the storage cupboard behind luna nursing a broken hand and it got back to my friends, they'd figure out what i was doing immediately. my hand hurt like hell though, and i only lasted about two before sneaking out of the cupboard. i couldn't last any longer without pain meds.

i tucked my hand under my jacket, wanting to keep it hidden incase i bumped into anyone. i wasn't planning on having to tell anyone what had happened. i walked quickly, breathing a sigh of relief when i saw the infirmary looming ahead.

it was almost deserted luckily, aside from the outline of a figure behind a curtain in the bottom bed. i wouldn't be here long enough to figure out who that was, she just had to bibbity bop the bones in my hand back into place and give me some meds for the pain. as if on cue, madame pomfrey made her way down the ward towards me, her eyes widening as she saw my hand. 'what happened?' she demanded, taking hold of my hand and gingerly moving it around. fuck. i hadn't even thought of her asking that question yet. 'i fell' i said quickly, trying to pretend i hadn't noticed her eyes narrowing at me. i knew she didn't believe me.

'pomfrey, come on' a voice called from down the ward, thankfully distracting her. 'i have to go' she told me apologetically 'there's a first year emergency. go wait on the bed at the end, behind that curtain, and i'll fix you up when i'm back. here's something for the pain until i'm back'. she thoughtfully pressed a small tub of pain medication into my hand, giving me one last glance before hurrying down the ward towards the mystery voice.