fourteen

'knock knock' i called, grinning and adjusting the bag strap on my shoulder. the door opened and crabbe glared at me, looking me up and down. i bit the inside of my lip, fighting the urge to laugh. crabbe was painted completely white, with huge black marks hollowing out his eyes, and a messy line of 'blood' dripping down from the edge of his lip. he scowled, turning and hollering over his shoulder. 'dracooooooooooooo'.
'okay blaise, i'm coming' draco appeared at the door, his hands over his ears. 'jeez'. he smiled at me lightly and crabbe stepped around me to leave. i walked in the dorm, turning to draco. 'blaise and goyle left earlier' he said. i already knew that. i'd waited in the common room dressed as the corpse bride for over two hours, pretending to do potions homework while i waited to watch him leave.

'you don't look very halloweeny' i shook my head, pretending to be cross. he shrugged, grinning 'i thought my normal face was scary enough' i grinned back, reaching into my bag and producing a devil horn headband and a tail. 'devil?' i asked 'or....' i reached into my bag again, producing a cape, fangs and a box of facepaints 'vampire? although crabbe kind of stole that one'.
'you got fangs?' draco asked, snatching them out of my hand and holding them up to look. 'vampire then?' i laughed.
'duh, i've always wanted to know what i'd look like with fangs'.
'nerd' i led him over to the bed, pushing on his shoulders so he'd sit down. 'open your mouth then' i demanded. he opened obediently and i started to slot the fangs on his teeth. 'ouch' he protested 'that hurt'.
'don't be a baby' i said witheringly, shoving the fang on further. 'OUCH' he said again, pulling back.

'wait, wait, wait. i've done the first one. there's only one left' he looked at me, before leaning back towards me apprehensively. i slotted the second tooth on much easier and he grinned at me. 'thow do thi thlook?'. he frowned. 'thupid teef i canth bloothdy thalk'. i laughed at him, clipping the cape around his shoulders, before setting to work on his face. i applied a thin layer of white greasepaint to make him slightly paler, before starting on drawing fake eye bags. i noticed his own eye bags were noticeably bigger recently, i probably wasn't helping with that.

i added in some ashy grey cheek bones, figuring it couldn't hurt, before drawing on a small blood trail. he looked nothing like crabbe. 'woah, you actually look kind of hot'
'don'th thound tho thurprised' he laughed, smacking my shoulder gently. 'as long as you don't talk that is' i corrected myself and he glared at me. 'it's a shame we can't go to the party' i said. he shrugged.
'parthies are overrathed anyway'. he pulled the board game box out from under his bed. 'cluedo or uno?'.

i beat him at cluedo, all five games. well, four technically. we never actually finished the last game because he flipped the board in a sulk, saying it was a 'thupid bloody game'. he reached into his draw for the coke and i breathed a sigh of relief. i hadn't wanted to ask and seem rude, but i was starting to think he wasn't going to ever get it out. we hadn't done any last week because i'd stormed out, i wasn't about to miss it again. i liked draco more than i thought i would, but at the end of the day i was only coming for the drugs.

i looked up, draco was holding the bag in his hand, but he wasn't making any effort to get the powder out and into lines. he was just staring at me. 'elithabeth, i'm noth sure we should-'
'for me? please?' i cut him off. i knew the way he was looking at me, and as shitty as it was i knew i could use it against him. i scooted towards him, putting my hands on either side of his face. 'for me?'

he sighed, shaking me off and starting to divide up the lines. the vampire looked cross, but hey, he was doing it. i hadn't forced him. manipulated? sure. forced? not at all. really, i hadn't done anything wrong. so why did i feel so guilty?

stupid morals.

you're a really shitty person, you know that right?

shut up.

the poor boys quite obviously got feelings for you, and you're playing with him just to get drugs. it's fucked up.

i know okay?

'elithabeth? whath's wrong?' draco asked, stopping what he was doing to rest a hand on my shoulder. 'nothing? why do you ask?'.
'you were mutthering under yhour breaf agahain, i've nothiced you do ith a loth '.
'stop watching me then' i snapped, immediately wishing i could bite back the words. his face dropped and he turned back to the cocaine, pulling his vampire teeth out and dropping them on the floor next to him. 'i can tell when your hiding something elizabeth, it helps to talk you know'.

'okay' i said nonchalantly, and he left it at that. he was one to talk anyway. i knew barely anything about him. i'd asked him so many times; and he'd refused to budge on any of it. i knew he hated his dad, that much was obvious from the bathroom discovery weeks ago, but i didn't really know why. as far as i could see, draco wanted for nothing. he messaged his father asking for something, and it was delivered the very next day.

he gestured towards the lines and i leant forward to snort it, ignoring the look he was giving me. he gave me that look a lot, and i hated it. it was the kind of look that just oozed pity, that screamed 'you're off the rails and i don't know how to stop it'. i hated that. even emma and lily hadn't looked at me like that when i overdosed. they looked at me like they loved me, and it was obvious they were scared for me sure, but underneath that there was the kind of look in their eye that showed they were almost scared of me. like i was wild and unpredictable and scary and fearless, and that made me feel kind of proud. i liked it. it might not have been true, i might have been doing the drugs because i wasn't fearless, but i liked that they didn't realise that.

i don't think draco had ever been fooled by that. right from the first night in the astronomy tower it was like he looked at me and saw me for exactly what i was. a scared little girl who had no idea what she was doing to her life or how to fix it.

he joined me begrudgingly, before reaching over and wiping the powder from my face. 'happy halloween' i grinned. he rolled his eyes, hesitating before leaning over and kissing me gently on the cheek. 'happy halloween elizabeth'. i waited until his back was turned, before slipping the half full money bag of powder into my pocket.

an extra chapter to make up for neglecting this story recently.