sixty four

'ready?' i whispered to draco, zipping up all my hoodie. 'has anyone ever told you you look hot in all black?' he quipped. i laughed, remembering the first time he said that to me the night we broke into the attic. i had thought things were so complicated then, maybe i should have savoured it more. the corner of my mouth quirked up and i shook my head 'let's go'. we crept out of his dorm, trying to be as quiet as possible so we wouldn't wake crabbe, goyle or blaise. they knew i was in here on a school night, but i don't think they cared enough to question it.

i closed the door quietly behind us, tiptoe'ing down the corridor to the stairs. i was used to sneaking around, draco clearly, was not. 'shhh' i scolded him 'you're like a pet elephant. stop stomping'.
'sorry' he whispered back sheepishly, walking with exaggerated carefullness. i sighed, but i couldn't be bothered to argue it out with him.

we made it to the group almost ten minutes late, and it was obvious they hadn't thought i was coming. 'finally' someone at the back of the group muttered. 'me and cedric made everyone wait' lily hugged me quickly, smiling at draco. 'yeah. we told them that it's your best friend. you deserve to be here' cedric chipped in 'don't worry. i knew you'd come'.
'yeah. thanks diggory' draco butted in, smiling at her. 'we were just a bit busy earlier, so'.
'draco. be nice' i whispered, smacking him gently.
'draco?' cedric asked, sounding surprised 'i didn't know you were coming. well, this is...great. isnt it?'
'yeah' draco nodded 'great'.

'okay' lily looked between them 'let's go. we're splitting into groups of-'
'we're splitting up?' interrupted draco 'elizabeth, you told me it was going to be one big group'.
'i thought it was' i said helplessly.
'it was meant to be' cedric nodded 'but i thought we'd cover more land in smaller groups. find her quicker. i think that's important, don't you?'
'i think it sounds like you have a fucking deathwish' scoffed draco 'have you never watched a horror movie?'
'this isn't a horror movie draco' cedric replied curtly 'this is real life'.
'people getting murdered around a school that we literally can not leave? yeah i agree. doesn't sound like a horror movie to me either' he snapped 'we're not splitting up'.
'i really think we should-'
'dracos right' lily interrupted 'we should stick together. you say you want to find her quicker, but we're wasting so much time arguing right now. can we please just go'.

'okay' nodded cedric 'let's go'. we turned, piling quietly out of the back door that led directly onto the forest path, the same one me and cedric had taken that day with the random hut. 'what if she's in the hut?' i piped up. if she was alive, i couldn't think of a better place to hide her. 'what hut?' asked lily, narrowing her eyes. 'the hut her and cedric almost got 'carried away' in' draco muttered, rolling his eyes. 'how does he know about that?' cedric demanded, turning to face me. 'oh for fucks sake' snapped lily 'does it matter? and if you're talking about the hut out at the edge of school, with the fireplace, i found that myself the other day. she wasn't there'.
'you were out here alone the other day?' i asked 'when?'
'i was looking for ems' she shrugged 'i didn't ask you because i thought you'd try to stop me'.

'i think we should look out by the lake first' cedric spoke up. 'that's right at the back. does it not make more sense to work our way through?' draco asked.
'if we can't agree draco, maybe we should split up' cedric smirked, clearly waiting for draco to realise he was trapped by his first statement of sticking together. 'fine' spat draco 'you take half the group and i take the other half. elizabeth, you're coming with me'.
'fine' snapped cedric 'come on lily'.
'no' i protested quickly 'i want to be near lily. i've lost one friend already, i'm not risking losing two'. cedric's face softened for a second before shrugging. 'okay. lily, you go with them then'.

we turned, starting to trudge our way through the forest, shining our torches on each bush and tree that we passed and jumping everytime a twig snapped or an owl hooted near by. we didn't admit defeat until past four in the morning, but despite our efforts, there was still no emma.