sixty two

i fell asleep quickly that night, waking up, or so i thought, in the countryside. i grinned. peter.

'long time no see little sister' he grinned, laughing as i rugby tackled him into a hug. 'where have you been?' i demanded, flopping down in the chair next to him. 'yeah, we need to talk about that' he said solemnly all of a sudden 'somethings wrong?'

'wrong?' i asked, ignoring the knot of anxiety that had just formed in my stomach 'what do you mean wrong? is that why you haven't been to see me for weeks? what's happened?'
'i tried to see you' he told me 'i swear i did. but i couldn't. something was blocking me'.
'i haven't been doing drugs. i've lost the spirit completely' i said hesitatingly, somehow worried he'd be mad at me 'i'm sorry. that's probably why'. he shook his head. 'that's not why. i've seen you before when you were sober. i can't get to the school at all, i couldn't get into your dreams. i thought maybe you were dead'. 
'i thought you were dead too' i sighed 'i was worried'.
'it's like someone's pushing me out? if that makes sense' he shrugged 'i honestly don't know. i've never felt anything like it before'.

i sighed. 'things are weird at school too. emma's missing'.
'emma? your friend? how long for?'
'over a week. i can't get into her dreams, draco won't let me do drugs to try'.
'good' peter nodded 'i'm glad he's got some common sense'
'what?' i snapped 'that is not good. i don't even know if emma's alive or not, and if she is she's in danger. i could save her'.
'no you couldn't' peter said, trying to reason 'you're not strong enough to hold her yourself for more than ten seconds at a time, maybe not even that now if whatever is affecting me affects you too. that's only enough time to see if she's alive or not, not enough to get any kind of effective information from her about how to get to her'.
'but that's good' i protested 'i would know if she's alive or not?'
'so you would send yourself into a relapse just to know if she was alive?' i nodded 'so you could do what? sit in your room and think about how she was alive somewhere, in danger, and you couldn't get to her? there's nothing you can do for her elizabeth'. i was silent now, staring at him. i hated when he made sense.

'it's not worth a relapse for ten seconds of closure' he said softly 'in fact, it's not even closure. it's the opposite. draco's talking reason elizabeth. he just cares about you'.
'it doesn't make it any less shitty' i huffed.
'i know' he shrugged 'and it's awful, and i'll try my best to find her. but maybe, you should prepare for the worst'. that caught my attention, draco and peter clearly weren't united on that front. draco had told me to stay positive, that emma would be coming back. peter clearly, didn't agree.