Silence - Woo Do Hwan

Silence isn't empty

Silence isn't empty.

-----

Breath in. Breath out.

Sucking my stomach in, I moved my feet on top of the scale carefully. The number went up and stopped. Whatever the numbers that shows almost every morning I weigh in never satisfy me. Although I should've stop doing that every now and then.

I took my hair in a loose grip and looked at it, wondering when was the last time I get my haircut. I almost believed that my long hair made me gain weight.

The tip of my hair tickled my lower back as I made my way to the kitchen. I blinked my eyes several times to adjust with the sunlight that went pass through the curtains. As my sight slowly recovers, I turned my attention to the counter where I think I still have some bread. I looked closely when I notice that the bread has rotten on some sides. I thought I just buy it few days ago.

Should I skip breakfast?

On cue, my stomach growled. Sighing, I turned to the bathroom decided to wake my systems up with a good cold water splash and brushing teeth.

Just when I was about to step out of the door, I peeked from the curtains, making sure of something. Few moments later, I decided to finally make my way out. Tucking my hands into the pockets of the jacket, I walk towards the nearest convenient store at the neighborhood. My eyes searched for something that could bring up my appetite but nothing catch my interest. In the end a box of fruit slices became my choice, again.

My eyes wondered to the morning activities as I sit in front of the store, enjoying my treat. How much it hadn't change so much for the past 20 years always amazed me. The people on the neighborhood seemed not leaving at all. How come it was only me who return?

The breeze blew away my long hair softly, covering my sight. As I pushed back my hair out of my sight that was when I hear the voice that I avoided since I arrive.

"Is that all you have for breakfast?"

I saw him again ever since last week. With his hair and shirt damp from the sweat of his morning exercise, he judged my choice of breakfast with his pierceing eyes.

"Eat proper food, will you?"

"I have bad digestion."

He pushed his hair back, shaking his head at me. "Fruit's good but you went to excessive of consuming it so it's no longer a healthy choice at all."

I didn't reply but avoiding his gaze and turned towards the street again as I finished my treat. As I threw away the plastic, I walked away. Knowing that I had him follow my steps making me involuntary give out a deep sigh. I shouldn't leave the house. This was going to be long.

"Im Ye Na," he called but I didn't respond, like usual. "It only takes one knock on my door for a simple meal. Is it so hard?"

I quicked my pace towards the house but it was no use since his steps were always twice bigger than mine.