Chapter 44 - Witches

Forks, Washington

"Why did I choose to continue going to high school?" I ask Bonnie as we walk into the building with Bekah.

"To say you graduated." Bonnie retorts with a deadpan. "Or maybe so that you don't feel guilty for not graduating?"

My nose wrinkles as the scents from those around me come across my senses. "God, everyone's blood is just so .. smelly."

"You don't say, love." Niklaus says as he walks up behind us, a grin on his face. "Are you excited for class today?"

"Absolutely thrilled." Who knows, perhaps I'll drink the whole class dry. Sarcasm, that was sarcasm.. kind of.

"Looks like someone has been bitten by the sarcasm bug." Alaric responds in a lightly amused tone.

"Oh please. The sarcasm bug?" Kol responds, disgust in his voice. "Who came up with that crap?"

"Probably the same people who came up with "love bug" and the other bug stuff." Bonnie retorts with an eye roll as Kol chuckles.

Our classes passed with relative ease, Klaus and Alaric had been seen in passing throughout the day. However, it is likely that they just decided to compel themselves into having free schedules to just be at the school.

I was standing by my locker when Alaric stopped in front of me, I could tell from his stance that he was in his altered state. Both sides of him haven't fully merged yet, that could be for many reasons. One of those reasons is most likely that the ritual was interfered with. Although, considering the circumstances of said ritual then that means whomever interfered was given inside knowledge somehow.

"Alaric." I say simply, watching him closely as his eyes skirt around the hallway, though the school day is nearly over now.

He nods and speaks in a low tone, "Caroline. Have you fed today?"

"I planned on doing so after school to be honest. Feasting on unsuspecting classmates would be reckless."

Alaric snorts, a dark smirk on his face as he chuckles and ruffles my hair. "And that's why Damon needs you so much."

I snort and shake my head as I smack his hand away from my hair is feigned annoyance. "No, only Damon can decide if he wants to reign himself in. I just provide encouragement that doing so doesn't make him weak or prevent him from actually having fun."

Alaric hums before shaking his head. "We'll be out front after school ends."

"Everyone?" I ask with a quirked eyebrow as I turn slightly while he walks towards the exit.

"Yeah.. Bon, Elijah and Kol are already waiting for us."

"And Bekah?"

"Talking Klaus and Stefan's ears off most likely. Apparently she saw a dress that she likes or something."

"She does like high fashion." I comment lightly, feeling slightly amused, there's nothing wrong with liking fashion, it can just be so disappointingly spendy at times.

——————

"Are you sure this is where she is?" The male asks with a sigh as they drive past the Welcome to Forks sign.

The woman next to him rolls her eyes, honestly. "Well.. duh. What did you think we came to this no account town for to begin with?"

"Forks?" He responds sarcastically.

"Ha- ha- ha." She replies sarcastically to his smartass retort.

"No, but seriously. This place is just so.. small. Don't powerful beings get tired of living in small towns?"