Day 5

I woke up before everyone else.

It has been 5 days since the apocalypse took over the world. There are no longer blue skies, just big gray dark clouds. Everyone sleeps downstairs now. Whether it's on the couch or the floor we just all sleep by each other. I sleep on the smaller couch and Kayla sleeps on the bigger couch while the boys sleep on the floor, each day we switch- boys on couches, girls on the floor.

I get up and head to the kitchen. Ever since I brought Kayla, KJ, and Nick I have been the acting "mother" of our tiny family. I'm the one who makes the food for them before they wake up. I hand wash everyone's clothes (I can't use the washing machine or drying machine because that will make too much noise). 

All at the same time I'm building weapons for us to survive. I've taken all the sharp tools and strapped them to wooden sticks, making them a bit longer. I count how many bullets we have left, 37. we're not going to have a lot left, soon we're going to need more. I went upstairs to check if everyone was up yet. They're a little sleepy but they're awake now.
"There's food for everyone in the kitchen. Everyone grab plates and start eating." I tell them.

"Aren't you going to eat?" Kayla asks.

I shake my head, "I already ate, plus I have to count the food and check our supplies" 

"How about after we eat, will count the food and check the supplies? You need to rest, you've helped us so much Chloe" Nick says.

"Are you guys sure?" I ask them

They all look at each other than nod.

"Okay then, I'm going to be making a plan so we can go and get more food and supplies. Maybe the other houses might be empty." I suggest.

"She never stops working I guess," Says KJ

"Nope I never do, there's too much intelligence in my brain that would go to waste if I just sit around doing nothing," I say before going to the dining room to start thinking of a plan.

Now and then I  go upstairs to check outside the windows but, I never get myself to do it. The room at the front of the house is my mom's. After everything she has done, I can't bring myself to come to her room. But I've had enough. I slowly walk to the door and turn the handle. Slowly I open the door, a gust of wind rushes past me. It's been a while since I've been in here. The room looks the same. The bed is made, the floor is vacuumed, all the clothes are nicely folded. Nothing has changed. I walk over to the windows and peek outside them. I get my binoculars and look across the road to the other houses. They look especially vacant so I plan to go to those houses. 

But I'm not going alone this time. I start heading downstairs to make the plan.

"Okay guys, here's how this is going to work. We'll split up, Me and Kayla will take the house in front of ours. Nick and KJ will take the one to the left. I've checked and the doors are open. That means that there is no one inside. Well, no one who is alive. We'll all go check to see if there are any weapons there, knives, guns, stuff like that. We'll also check if they have any food for us to take.  So far this is the only way I've come up with for us to survive. Does everything sound good?" I say to them.

"What if there are zombies there?" Kayla asks.

"Try your best to kill them. But, don't make any loud sounds or the rest of them will come. So, we got to be in and out. Sound good?" I ask.

They all nod and get ready to work. we put our jackets on and they strap towels around their arms and legs. We all grab our weapons and prepare to start running.

"You guys ready?" I ask.
They nod and I start the countdown.

"3, 2, 1"

I open the door and they run out the boys run one way and Kayla and I run the other way. There aren't many zombies after what happened yesterday, because of the explosion at Nick's house many zombies went that way. Which makes it easier for us. Kayla and I run-up to the house and get our weapons ready. Kayla has a dagger in her hand and I have my trusty ax. we walk up to the door and push it a little, it squeaks open. We slowly walk into the house.

"Okay," I whisper, "You go and look for some food to take back with us. Get as much as you can fit into the bag, I'll go and find some weapons to put in my bag."

Kayla nods and looks for the kitchen. 

Okay, if I were a weapon where would I be put? I thought to myself. I head to the basement.

I pull the string to the light and it turns on. I jump surprised to find a zombie down here coming straight for me. I flung my ask at its head and it cracks open. The zombie falls to the floor.

I hurry and look for the weapons.

I open a case to see AR's in them

"Jackpot" I whisper.

I open my back and start putting them in. I turn off the light and start heading upstairs. I see Kayla waiting at the front door, her bag full of food.

"Let's go," I say to her and we start running out the door back home. We see the boys heading back as well. Their bags are full also. We all enter the house. Everyone's hugging each other because our plan worked. I lock the door behind me before sitting down with everyone else. They all start emptying their bags. 

"Look at all this food we got!" KJ exclaims.

"Do you see this? This is a machete!!" Nick cheers.

"What did you find Chloe?" Kayla asks.

"Let's see!" I say and empty my bag.

"No way! You got ARs?? You hit the jackpot!" Says Nick.

I guess I did.