Day 18

I run. I keep running. I've been running for the past 30 minutes. Not knowing where we're going, I stop to catch my breath. Once everyone sees me stopping, they stop as well.

"We need to stop running and figure out what to do next," I say to them.

"Well, what are we supposed to do? We're going to get killed out here!" Nick shouted.

"I just saved your life, you idiot. You haven't even thanked me for the last time I saved you. What do you expect me to do? Would you rather be a brainless test subject waiting to be turned into a zombie?!" I shouted back.

"You aren't our leader Chloe."

"Guys!" Kayla cut in. "We can't be fighting, especially not right now. Were out in the open. We should be great full. Chloe was the only one who wasn't turned into one of the "Silent Ones" yet and she saved us. So what's the plan, Chloe?"

I kept quiet for a moment. I needed some time to think. I couldn't think straight because of what Nick said. "You aren't our leader Chloe." But, I didn't have time to think.. WE didn't have time. 

"We need to find shelter, find a building. At least someplace to shelter us. Once we find that place we can think of the next step in our plan. Got it?" I tell them.

They all nod and we start running again.

For about half an hour, all we have seen is dirt road and darkness. We've almost given up hope until KJ shouts, "Guys look! There is a building. It looks like an abandoned hospital or something."

We all ran towards the building.

This building looked exactly how you think an abandoned hospital would look. Tall creepy building, broken windows, opened doors. We all slowly walked towards the building. We turned the handle to see if the door was locked. Of course, it wasn't. The door creaked open and we walked inside.

There were leaves scattered around the place. Hospital beds were turned. Some even tipped over. The light of the Emergency Room sign flickered then finally turned off. I went behind the counter to look for some flashlights. I only found two. 

"We're going to need to split up into groups and look for more supplies," I told them handing the other flashlight to Kayla.

"I'll go with KJ," she said and started to walk off with KJ before I stopped them,

"Wait." They stopped walking and turned around.

"I have something to say to you. All of you. I just want to say that... I'm proud. I'm proud of all of you. Even though, I know I'm not your guys' leader. but still, You guys have stuck with me ever since the beginning. I was surprised that none of you actually didn't bail on me and stayed behind. I thought I was being a bad leader for being too strict on you guys and I'm sorry. So, thanks, for sticking with me." 

We were all quiet for a second. Then they all came up and we did a group hug. 

After we let go KJ says, "We've started this together, so let's end it together."

"Nick and I are going to take the north and west wing, you guys take the east and south. Let's meet in about..." I stopped and checked my watch. "About 20 minutes?"

They nod and we separated. You might think it's a bad idea but, we got no other choice. Nick and I head towards the North wing. None of us say anything. I guess he still isn't on good terms with me. I thought.

"So," I say trying to start a conversation. 

He stops walking. I look back and he says, 

"Do you think we're going to survive?"

I look at him more closely and I notice something. Let me tell you, even though Nick seems like a tough guy on the outside, he's a big softy on the inside. This is the first time I've ever seen him cry.

"Are you... crying?" I ask, trying to hold in my laugh.

"No, just answer my question." He says, turning around.

"I... I don't know. Hope is all we got though. Even if there aren't that many of us, we still have a chance." I say, "Also Nick, it's okay to cry sometimes. knowing that you're capable of crying means you're human."

I started walking again. Then suddenly someone comes and hugs me from behind. I turn my head and see nick leaning his head on my shoulder. What did I tell you? He's a softy.

I grab his hands to pull him off but he stops me and says, "Wait. Let's just... stay like this for a while."

I sigh and put my hands down. We stay like this for a couple of minutes, then he lets go.

"Thanks." He says and starts walking off. Wow. That was totally not awkward.

We walk to the first door. I try turning the knob. It's locked

"It's locked. We're gonna have to find another way in." I say then look around. Then an idea came to me. I grab my flashlight and slam it against the window of the door. After a couple of tries, the window finally breaks and I put my arm through the door and try looking for the lock. While moving my arm around looking for the door lock, my arm ran over a piece of glass. 

I winced but, finally found the lock and opened the door. 

"Hey, you okay?" He asks.

"Yeah, I'm fine. It's just a cut. Let's keep looking." I say but, I stop once I heard something. 

"Did you hear that?" I ask. 

"I didn't hear anything," Nick replies in a whisper. 

Suddenly a surge of zombies starts racing at us. We start sprinting for the door. Once out the door, we close it behind us but, it doesn't keep them trapped for long. At least we got a head start. We head for the front of the hospital, to find KJ and Kayla there also.

"You'll never guess what we found..." KJ starts before seeing the zombies following behind us.

We all start running out the doors looking for a place to hide. Luckily, we found a hidden cellar around and climbed in. We locked the door behind us and stopped running. 

"Where... Did... They... Come from??" Kayla said hyperventilating. 

"Chloe and I were looking around in one of the operating rooms and they just came out of nowhere!" Nick exclaimed.

"Anyways, KJ tell them what we found!" Kayla squealed.

"Right!" KJ says and takes out a rolled-up piece of paper.

"I think there were others who were there before us. They also escaped the O.R.S.T. But, they left their plan behind!"

"Really?! Who?" I ask.

"They call themselves... The Blue Ghosts."