1. Prologue : Lost and found

Yangsan, December 2020

In almost 7 years of existence, Moon Chaewol never experienced such amount of confusion and helplessness. She couldn't recognize her surrounding: all the trees looked similar and on top of that she lost sight of the stream passing by the orphanage.

She was lost, truly lost in the forest.

A pity because the day started well: that morning Mr Lee Do Hyun (their second caregiver) took the kids of the orphanage on a camping trip in a forest near Yangsan. She played hide and seek with the other kids but wandered too far from the camp. She followed three different paths, thinking one of them would lead her back to the camp. Unfortunately her effort produced a counter effect by pushing her further in the forest.

That was how she ended up in this situation, with no way to contact anyone and no idea on how to find the way home. But was it really home when she felt like an outsider there?

As long as she could remember, she had lived all her life at the Children Home in Yangsan, a small town near Busan. As a matter of fact, she was one of the longest kid who lived in that orphanage. Some of her friends found new families over the years and left the orphanage. Sister Hanna explained to her the kids were adopted. Chaewol didn't understand at first what it meant but years later she became used to it. All of them were orphans or kids who couldn't live with their parents, therefore Mr Shin Jung Geun the orphanage manager looked for new families for them. Some of the kids were adopted or sent back home to their parents but never her.

For a long time she wondered what she did wrong. It was true that she was shy, not really talkative and didn't smile often. She wasn't as cute as the younger kids nor as funny as the older ones either. When she wasn't playing with her only friend Hwang Mi, her favorite activity was lying on the grass, humming songs she heard on the radio and day-dreaming. Mr Shin sometimes joked Chaewol's head was always in the clouds because her name meant bright moon.

She tried her best to behave well when the new parents came to the orphanage but they never chose her. Thus, at one point she just gave up making efforts. However deep down, she still craved for a mom and a dad like the other kids at school who had someone to pick them at the school's gate. They got parents or at least one parent who took them on holidays, gave them gifts and hugs. Chaewol got none. The two mean kids in her class often made fun of her and Hwang Mi because they lived in the orphanage and didn't have parents.

No one ever told her if her parents were still out there or if they went to heaven. She cried and fought back everytime the mean kids would say her parents abandonned her because she was a weird child. She knew it wasn't true and it was only an attempt to hurt her. Everytime she cried about it, their main caregiver Sister Hanna would remind her she was pretty and kind, that it was okay if she talked to the moon sometimes or prefered to play alone. Chaewol was special in her own way and she shouldn't give importance to people's mean comments.