11. Dear Moon pt.2

30 december 2020, Dobong, Seoul

It was the first time Chaewol was staying in a jjimjilbang. They stayed three nights in the motel but couldn't afford it anymore. The idea of going to a bathhouse came as the woman occupying the room beside theirs told them she was working there. The woman named Sulli said she could help them sneak in the bathhouse, sleep and eat there for free for two or three nights.

" Why are you helping us?" Jian asked, always suspicious when strangers were too generous.

" I see a lot of myself in you. When I was 12 like you, my step father threw my mother and me out of his house and we had nowhere to go. We were so scared to sleep on the streets. I wish someone would have helped us. I can't do much for you but I can't just watch two young girls and an old woman be homeless and alone in this city. We're in the middle of the winter, it's freezing outside. The boss is never there anyway, he won't notice." 

That's how they ended up in the jjimjilbang. Chaewol saw Halmeoni smile for the first time in days after she had a relaxing time in the hot tub. Jian and Chaewol devoured the bibimbap leftover given by the cook.

The matching clothes everyone wore looked funny but they were having fun in the bathhouse. It was past bedtime but a lot of clients were gathered in the common room to watch a TV music show.

" Come on Chaewolie, we should watch too, it's the KBS song festival ! My favorite groups are going to sing there !" Jian grabbed Chaewol's hand and sat in front of the TV. Halmeoni quietly followed them.

" Look it's Red Velvet's turn!" Jian clapped. Chaewol didn't know who Red Velvet was but she had at least heard the song on the radio. 

" They are really pretty. But why are their skirts so short, it must be uncomfortable? If I become a singer, will I have to wear things like that too?"

Chaewol liked comfy and baggy clothes because she spent most of her free time playing alone or with Hwang Mi outside. She couldn't imagine herself wearing white skirts like this. She would get it dirty and wrinkled in a short time.

" It's to look cute dummy! But you're right, if you don't like it, don't wear it. By the way, don't you want to change your mind about the Melon Music Award tomorrow? It's really dumb to not go! This is your opportunity to shine and sing in front of many people. Not everyone can do that! I would be happy to say my friend Chaewol is the one who's singing on TV. Imagine if your parents see you!" Jian tried to convince her again.

" I don't know...I'm scared." Chaewol replied.

She worked really hard on the song and wanted to sing it, she also wanted to find her parents but she was really scared by everything that happened recently.

What if something goes wrong? What if those mean men come back again? What if she never find her parents? When she left Yangsan, it seemed like a great idea, now she wasn't sure about anything anymore.

Jian turned to her grandmother and they exchanged words with signs language.

" See! Halmeoni too said you should go!" Jian exclaimed a bit too loud.

" Sshhh lower your voice girl, IU is the next to sing, we wanna hear properly." A man behind them told Jian. Chaewol was secretly glad he silenced Jian because she didn't want to talk about that subject, at least not right now.
Jian pouted but she said nothing and looked at the TV like everyone else.

The lights went on and a woman seating in front of a moonlight decor appeared on the TV.

" My bright moon, wherever you are, I hope you can hear me. Tonight I will sing for you Moon Chaewol. " the pretty woman said.