2. Birthday under the moonlight (flashback 2013)

Seoul, May 2013

Seoul, May 2013

She was turning 19 tomorrow and her bestfriend Yoo Inna who was three years older than her tried to convince her to sneak out of the dorm at night and go to a party. Inna was everything Jieun wasn't and it was the exact reason they became close like sisters. Inna was a bright and cheerful soul, prioritizing what makes her happy above all. Jieun was more reasonable, quiet and responsible. Together they balanced each other well.

" Come on Jieunie, loosen up a little. We're working hard during the week, you deserve to have a night of fun and to be a normal teenager for once. Consider it as your birthday celebration !! Also, my crush will be at this party, this is the perfect opportunity to spend time with him. Please, I really wanna go and I want you to have fun with me. Come on please!"

She agreed after hours of pleading from Inna. The two girls giggled when they went past the building's gate without being noticed and took a taxi to the apartment of Inna's friend.

" Hi! Happy birthday Jo Kwon!!" Inna hugged the birthday boy and gave him a present

" Thanks ! I see you brought a friend!"

" I'm Lee Jieun! Nice to meet you. I'm a fan of 2AM."

" Great! Nice to meet you Jieun. You're a singer too, right? I think I saw you on a broadcast program once."

" Yes, I debuted last year." She answered timidly

" Girls, as your senior, I'm telling you this: keep having faith and keep working hard !! I'm sure both of you will succeed. Come in, everyone is already here ! Get yourself a drink and some snacks. "

They thanked Jo Kwon and he went back entertaining his guests.

Jieun looked around and recognized several celebrities. She was still a rookie artist who most of the time found this whole industry a bit intimidating. If she was brave enough, she could talk to those people, maybe promote herself a little bit and make connection or new friends but she was still too shy to do it. Right now, she felt like a fish out of the ocean, lost in the crowded room.

The first drink she took looked like an orange juice but she suspected it was spiked with alcohol due to the bitter taste. People talked and danced around her, Jieun felt a bit dazed by all the movements and noise in the room. Inna came back with another drink and they both tried to have a little bit of fun.

Her bestfriend was sadly right : Jieun didn't have many opportunities to relax and enjoy the regular life of a teenager.
She became a trainee three years ago, moved to the dorm, then was enrolled to an all girls catholic school. She didn't have time between school, training and then her debut to do anything else or have a social life. Graduating from high school earlier this year in February allowed her to have more time to focus on her career. Her agency will begin the preparation of her first comeback with a second full album, which meant months of hard work again and no time to live. Inna's concern about Jieun missing out her younger years was valid.