Chapter 10

Chapter 10

You were in my heart
You were in my head

Now you're waking up here in my bed

- Unbelievable (Why Don't We)

Their moment was interrupted by Phailin, who had taken it upon herself to bring the horses to the stables, located at (but not connected to) the east-side of the cottage. 'Come on, boys. It's going to rain soon and I would like return to the palace dry' Boun sent her a look, but gently helped Prem get back up and directed him towards the house. Phailin sighed as she watched them. They were happy, and they made each other happy. She could see that much. But for some reason the sight still hurt her. She cursed beneath her breath and followed them.

-

As they neared the cottage Boun had an idea. After they'd mounted the steps to the veranda he lifted Prem up, supporting his back with his right and Prem's legs with his left hand. 'Oi P'Boun!' Prem exclaimed 'Don't you know the tradition?' Boun laughed 'What tradition?' Prem's eyes were still red and puffy from the tears 'A husband must carry his wife over the threshold' 'Oi!' Prem hit Boun's shoulder 'I'm not your wife' Boun laughed even louder 'I know, Prem. But will you let me carry you?' Prem sighed 'Okay, Phi. I give up' Boun's laughter made way for a tenderness in his eyes. He motioned for Phailin to open the door and gently carried Prem inside. When they were he saw Prem's eyes grow big, and soon he realized why. Phailin had outdone herself. Left (or east) of the door was a kitchen with a small, four-person table, decorated with a simple, glass vase filled with wildflowers. Right (or west) of the door was the entrance to the sunroom. In front of them were two doors, and in between the doors was a small, demarcated staircase, probably leading to the underground cinema. The interior was much like the exterior, sober and mostly made out of wood. But it had such a cosy feeling that the soberness didn't matter. Prem had started to cry again and soon Boun was soothing him 'Sssh boy, do you like it?' 'It's beautiful' Prem had a smile on his face 'It really is, isn't it' Boun laughed. 'Boys, you should take off your shoes' Phailin said. Boun nodded and he slowly put Prem back on his feet, then he turned back to Phailin 'Thank you, it's beautiful' 'Why are you thanking her' Prem said with a small voice. Boun frowned 'I didn't tell you? She's the one that designed it' 'Oh, I'm so sorry. Thank you' Prem said and bowed deeply 'It's nothing' Phailin laughed 'If anything, you should thank your boyfriend. He paid me way too much money' Prem's eyes became big again 'How much?' Boun could feel him getting worried 'It doesn't matter Prem, it's my house too. Besides' he put his arm around him and his lips against Prem's ear 'I would be a bad boyfriend if I let you pay for anything' Prem's cheeks became red again but he didn't say anything.

'So, what door do you want to open first?' Boun asked him when he'd calmed down again 'You can choose, Phi' 'Oh ho, but I want you to' Boun smiled at him 'Oh for fuck's sake' Phailin whispered 'Let's do this one' she pointed at the right door. Boun kept his arm around Prem as they walked there 'Open it' Boun said with a soft voice. Prem slowly took the doorknob and opened the door. Inside was an incredibly white, clean bathroom. There were two sinks to the left, and a toilet to the right. In the back of the room there was a bath, dug out in the ground 'Wow' Prem walked inside, Boun soon followed. 'I designed the bath to be both a bath and a jacuzzi' Phailin said 'If you push this button' she pointed towards a small, black button on the left end of the bathtub 'It will activate the bubbles, push it again and they will turn off' Boun nodded with satisfaction 'It's amazing, Phai' 'I know' she smiled 'I've been trying to design a bathtub like this for quite some time now, so please let me know whether it worked' 'Yeah, of course' Boun said.

'Do you want to see the other room?' he asked Prem, who was still staring around, completely dazed. Then he slowly nodded. 'Come on' Boun led him out the bathroom and to the other door. He patiently waited for Prem to grab the knob and open it. Boun immediately knew that this would be his favourite room. There was a window to the left side of it, looking out over the grass hills and the stables, and a closet to the right. Above the window there was a subtle, but undoubtedly effective, air conditioner. In the middle of the room, against the wall, there was a big, king-size bed. Fit with warm-brown sheets, matching the brown-coloured curtains. Left of the door, and opposite of the bed, was a fireplace, built against the wall and leading upwards to a chimney. A fire was already crackling. 'It's perfect' Prem whispered 'Yeah? I'm happy you like it' Phailin sounded pleased 'I thought the sheets would fit the rest of the house. But if you don't like them, or if something else happens to them, you can always buy new ones' Boun sent her a dirty look. Then he had a thought and lifted Prem back up 'Hia, what are you do-' Prem shrieked as Boun threw him on the bed, then he laid down next to him. Boun let out a deep sigh of relief. The bed was incredibly soft and a welcome difference from the hard forest floor. 'It's so soft' Prem's words mirrored Boun's thoughts 'Good' Phailin said 'Now get up the both of you, I want to show you the last two parts before I leave'