Chapter 24

Chapter 24

Somewhere Prem had known that this was coming, but now that they'd said it out loud he still couldn't help feeling surprised 'Queen?' he whispered. Boun gently kissed his shoulder 'Yeah' 'How can I be a queen if I'm not a woman?' 'No no no it's not gender related' Boun laughed 'It's just what you call the spouse of the king' he explained 'The king before this one was a woman, she had a husband who was called queen' Phailin added 'Oh' Prem still felt a bit uncomfortable at the idea. 'But what do I have to do?' he asked them 'Nothing' Boom scoffed 'That's not true, it entirely depends on what kind of power the king gives you' Phailin corrected him 'The classic idea is that the queen supports the king wherever they go. It's pretty romantic actually' she continued 'So, how much power are you going to give me P'Boun?' Prem grinned 'As much as you want' Boun giggled 'Oi, in that case I want to be king' 'Oh ho' Boun laughed 'No, I'll see Prem. It depends on how good you are at paperwork. In the coming couple of weeks I'll let you help me. Power is honestly just a lot of work' he sighed 'But that's not the only thing he'll have to work on' Phailin said 'The both of you have to practice the dance' 'And Prem needs to learn how to defend himself' Boom grinned 'Wait what? What dance?' the thought of dancing made Prem shudder 'Every time the crown gets passed down, there's a ball where the heir to the throne reveals his or her queen' Phailin said with a grin 'I'll have to dance?' Prem felt hopeless 'Don't worry Prem, I'll teach you' Phailin laughed 'And I'll teach you how to fight' Boom had a telling smile on his face. For some reason Prem got the idea that Boom wasn't going to go easy on him. 'When's the ball Boun?' Phailin asked him 'The thirteenth of January' Boun replied 'That's about six weeks from now' he added 'Six weeks' Boom mumbled 'So, when are you Turning him?' Boom asked Boun 'During a full moon' Boun replied. Phailin cursed softly 'Are you stupid?' her voice was calm, but she clearly disliked the idea 'I'll do it inside, and there are some precautions we can take. But it has to be during a full moon' 'Why Phi?' Prem frowned 'Because that way our souls will be tied' Boun giggled and kissed the back of his boyfriend's neck 'After that you're never getting rid of Boun' Boom grinned.

'Tell me about the war' Prem said all of a sudden. To his surprise a shadow fell over Boom's face 'There's nothing to say about it' Prem flinched a little and broke eye-contact 'Do you remember the former king that we talked about?' Boun said with a softer voice 'The woman?' 'Yeah, the current king wanted to overthrow her' Boun said 'His brother was the crown prince and he couldn't take it' Boom shook his head, his face was expressionless 'So he Turned a lot of young people, so that they could fight for him' Boun explained 'You?' Prem looked at him and Boom 'Yeah, us' Boun sighed 'His soldiers took us in the middle of the night and bit us' he added 'Why didn't you run away?' Prem asked them 'Oh ho boy' Boom laughed 'Where the hell were we supposed to go? We were in different bodies and only they knew how to help us' 'So we fought' Boun muttered. Their words let a shiver run down Prem's spine 'Are you cold?' Boun sounded worried 'No no Phi I'm fine. It's just, that sounds awful' 'It was' Boun whispered. For a while they were all silent.

'In the heat of the battle I could see the current king lying on the ground, so I dragged him to safety' Boun said after a while, as if he was reliving the event 'Which is why Boun got named crown prince' Boom explained. Prem tried to imagine the scene. Then he frowned 'Didn't you fight in the war P'Phai?' 'Oh no, I got Turned 73 years ago' she quickly replied 'This was before my time' 'Lucky girl' Boom chuckled. Phailin sighed deeply but nodded slowly. 'Didn't this king have a queen too?' Prem's question made Boom laugh 'She disappeared' Boom said while he was laughing 'For some reason he got tired of her' Boun sighed. Prem stiffened 'Boy, you don't think that I would do that to you?' Boun exclaimed. Now everybody was laughing except Prem 'No, I'm not getting tired of you Prem. But even if I did, I wouldn't kill you' 'You think he killed her?' Phailin asked him 'What else would he have done, nobody has heard from her since' 'There are some rumours' Boom's lips curled up into a small smile 'What rumours?' Prem couldn't hold his question in 'Some say she cheated, and that when she tried to run away with her lover, the king caught them' 'She didn't have a lover' Boun muttered 'I can remember her, she was madly in love with the king' 'It's just a rumour' Boom shrugged 'That's so romantic' Prem muttered 'Oi' Boun hit Prem's shoulder 'Don't even think about it' he sneered 'I was just kidding Phi, I won't run away' Prem laughed 'Just keep in mind that no matter how fast you run, I'll always catch you in the end' Boun grinned and tightened his embrace.