Chapter 13

Chapter 13

I would kiss you,
And no one would despise me

- Song of Songs 8:1 (NIV)

A waiter greeted them at the entrance and led them inside to a two-person table in the back. To Prem's surprise all other spots were filled. Once they sat down the waiter gave them the menus and then gave them a little space. 'Well?' Boun looked at him with amusement in his eyes 'What?' 'Are you going to choose?' 'Oh' Prem quickly opened the menu and was surprised by the choice 'You can take your time, Prem. And you can order as much as you want, just make sure you can finish it all' Prem nodded to indicate that he'd understood. His eyes ran over all the choices and he realized that he really couldn't decide 'Otherwise just start from the top' 'Huh?' Prem looked up at Boun and frowned 'We'll go here more often, so you can just work your way down' 'We're going to do this more often?' 'Yeah Prem, of course' Boun smiled and leaned forward so he could stroke his hair 'Oi Phi, not here' 'Why not?' Boun grinned defiantly 'Are you ashamed of me?' 'People will look at us!' Boun shrugged 'Let them look' Prem pursed his lips but let Boun caress his hair as he decided to heed his advice on what to order 'Did you make a choice?' 'Yes, I want the Guay Teow with pork and rice noodles and the Som Tam' 'You like Som Tam, don't you?' Prem giggled and nodded 'What do you want to drink?' 'Uhm' Prem quickly leafed through the menu again, he hadn't thought of that 'Cold Cha Yen' he said hesitantly 'My mom used to make that' Boun muttered 'She did?' Boun nodded, all of a sudden in a trance of the past. Then he called the waiter to them and repeated Prem's order. The waiter bowed briefly and retreated to the kitchen.

'Can you tell me more about your mother?' Prem asked him. For a moment he got scared that his question went too far but his fear was stilled when Boun got a small smile on his face 'She was amazing. Very sweet, almost as sweet as you. But she never showed it. She used to work from early in the morning to late at night' when Prem frowned he quickly added: 'My father left us. So she had to take care of my brother and me all by herself' 'Do you miss her?' Prem asked him. Boun thought for a while 'To be honest, most of the time I can't even remember her face' Prem's eyes widened 'I can't either' 'Well I guess we're equally messed up then' they both laughed. Prem was laughing but he was extremely comforted by Boun's words. All of a sudden he didn't feel so alone in his sorrow anymore. 'What do you still know about your mother?' Boun asked him. Prem shook his head 'Nothing. Sometimes when my father was really drunk he told me about her' 'What did he say?' 'That she was really sweet and...' Prem didn't finish his sentence 'And what?' Boun gently asked him 'And that if I'd looked more like her, maybe he would've loved me' Prem could see anger flash behind Boun's eyes 'Prem, if your mother is as sweet as your father describes her to be, you look like her' 'You don't even know her' Prem felt himself become sad again 'Yeah, but I know you. And if you're able to be this sweet with a father like yours, that must come from somewhere, right?' 'You think so?' 'Prem, I know so' Boun's words made Prem want to cry. He had never thought of himself like that. 'Thank you Phi' he said with a small voice. Boun just smiled and shook his head 'I love you Prem' 'I love you too P'Boun'

The waiter brought Prem's dishes one by one. When his noodle soup arrived he quickly started eating, and he didn't even stop to breathe. 'Ouan' Boun said after a while 'What?' Prem's mouth was still full 'Ouan' Boun giggled like a kid that had just gotten a new toy 'Oi' Prem nagged 'If I'm fat it's completely your fault' 'Oh absolutely. Keep eating' Prem stuck out his tongue but kept eating until all his plates were empty. 'Do you want dessert?' Boun asked him when he was done 'No Phi, I'm full' Prem had to fight to keep his burp in. Boun nodded and called the waiter to them to ask for the cheque. After he'd paid they stood up and went outside 'Well, did you enjoy that?' Boun put his arm around him 'Yes' Prem giggled 'That was really fun. Thank you' 'Good' Boun planted a kiss on Prem's temple, effectively avoiding Prem's hand that tried to hit him after 'Let's do some shopping'