Chapter 22

Chapter 22

Phailin had a hard time carrying the four dead pigs to the house. A sigh of relief escaped her lips when she finally lowered them on the veranda, next to the front door. Prem she immediately made her way to the bedroom. 'Shhh he's sleeping' Boun whispered 'Boun has he eaten yet?' Phailin tried to sound less worried than she felt 'Why?' Boun frowned 'He hasn't eaten anything all day and he lost a litre and a half of blood' Boun cursed beneath his breath and immediately started shaking Prem awake 'Go make him some instant noodles' he nodded towards Phailin. She obeyed and went to the kitchen. When the noodles were done she took them back to the bedroom. 'Here' she carefully tried to give Prem, who drowsily had managed to sit up, the bowl 'No no no' Boun immediately stopped her 'It's too hot, you have to hold it for him' 'Oh yeah, of course' Phailin sat down on the chair and held the noodles while Prem ate 'You have to drink a lot, too' she said. Prem nodded and kept eating.

-

When he finished his noodles he had a thought 'Phi, I didn't go to school today' 'It's okay Prem, I'll help you with your schoolwork' Boun replied 'No it's not about that' Prem shook his head 'When you don't show up they call your parents' Boun cursed softly 'Oh well, what's done is done Prem' he said after a while 'What if they force me to go back to him?' Prem's eyes started tearing up 'I'll go' Phailin whispered softly and left the room. 'Do you really think that I would let that happen?' Boun slowly stretched his arm out and wiped Prem's tears away 'You have to be careful Hia' Prem took Boun's hand and held it 'I won't let it happen Prem' Boun promised him. All of a sudden Prem wondered what he'd done to deserve someone like Boun. 'Thank you P'Boun' he smiled a little. Boun shook his head 'You have to eat more Prem, the past couple of days you've been starving yourself' Prem nodded and, after leaving a small peck on Boun's hand, went to the kitchen.

He made himself another portion of instant noodles and put some rice in the microwave, as well. When his meal was done he took a soda from the fridge and started eating 'Let me keep you company' Phailin left the sunroom and sat down on the chair opposite of him. He tried to smile with a full mouth but quickly gave up and kept eating. 'You have to let me look at that wound in a second' Phailin said. Prem nodded, the bandages had started loosening. When he finished his meal he burped softly, the sound made Phailin laugh 'Oi, you too?' he nagged 'I'm free to laugh at whatever I want' Phailin grinned. Prem shook his head but he had a smile on his face, too 'Let me take a look at that' Phailin didn't waste any time and unwrapped the bandages. When she saw the wound she nodded with satisfaction 'You did great Prem' 'Thank you P'Phai' Prem smiled. All of a sudden she looked into Prem's eyes 'He's not out of the woods yet, but if he hadn't had your blood he probably wouldn't have made it' 'I know' Prem sighed 'Do you think he'll make it?' he asked her 'He has a good chance, he just needs blood and rest. By tomorrow we'll know' her answer gave Prem mixed emotions. She stood up and grabbed a bottle and some bandages. She poured some of the bottle's liquid on a towel 'This might sting a little Prem' when the smell hit his nose, Prem immediately recognized it. He jumped up and slowly walked backwards. It was as if he smelled his father again 'Prem' Phailin's hands were in the air, as if to calm him down 'I don't want that' Prem said curtly 'It won't hurt that bad' she frowned 'What's going on Prem?' it took Prem a couple of seconds to regain himself. Then he took a deep breath 'Nothing Phi, just please do it quickly' he slowly sat down and tried not to breathe through his nose. Phailin shook her head and quickly cleaned the wound. It stung a little, but the feeling was nothing more than a small irritation. When Phailin had cleaned the wound she quickly wrapped bandages around it and fastened them with a safety pin 'I'll refresh them tomorrow' she put a hand on Prem's shoulder. Prem nodded and quickly cleaned his dishes. Then he went back to the bedroom. Phailin soon followed him with the pigs 'Wow' Prem's jaw dropped when he saw them 'You can go if you want' she said 'He won't' Boun scoffed. Prem grinned and sat down next to him. He held Boun's hand as Boun fed on the animals.