Chapter Forty-Seven

Hey guys! The link works wonky on here so if you go to my profile you can join my Discord from there. We have a really good community going and if you join then you get to help make decisions on where this story is going, by giving ideas, doing polls, all kinds of things. So come join us!

Also enjoy this last chapter before some angst comes in. We haven't had any for too long now. :3

~Zelinith

Midoriya stared wide-eyed as the Crimson Lion Knights ran off onto the volcano, Noelle trailing with them. Yuno had already set off after Yami and Charlotte, Sol hot on his heels. The latter had appeared out of nowhere, claiming that she couldn't let her "dearest Char" be kidnapped so easily.

It was only himself, Bakugou, and Asta left at this point with Mereoleona, the three of them having no magical ability whatsoever. Bakugou was currently swearing softly, the heat of the volcano making it difficult for him to control his explosions and was popping occasionally.

The two U.A. students watched as Mereoleona lectured Asta, telling him he could give up and leave if he wasn't capable, but as they had always witnessed before, the anti-magic user grit his teeth and drew forth his black form before setting off to catch up with the others. Now, it was just the two of them and the terrifying woman.

"Alright boys," Mereoleona began, hands propped on her hips as she grinned down at them. "Because you don't have any magic, which isn't your fault I get that, I'm going to use my own mana to shield you from the volcano's power. However, this doesn't mean I'm going to go easy on you two."

She studied the two teens before her, getting a read on them quite easily.

"You, explosion boy." She started. Bakugou jolted to stare at her, still miffed from earlier when he had been ensnared by her magic. "I'm gonna need you to drop that attitude of yours for a minute here and listen closely." The Captain leaned down towards his face, forcing him to keep eye contact.

"What d'ya want?" Bakugou snarled, although it lacked its usual gruffness.

Mereoleona's eyes narrowed. "I get the feeling that you've been told a whole bunch that you're some hot-shot. But right now, you're nothing more than a hindrance to my mages as you can't connect with the mana of this world. So you're going to have to work hard and prove to me and everyone else that you can actually hold your own. This world isn't like whatever place you came from, so look sharp and act like a true warrior."

She turned her gaze to Midoriya, the green-haired boy yelping at her intense stare.

"And you, whatever power you have there isn't yours. Don't worry, I won't tell anyone." She added in at his panicked gaze. "But because of that you need to also prove that you're worth the work that's needed to cultivate you into a proper warrior. The world is a cruel place and unless you're ready to work for it and accept help then you're not getting anywhere."

Mereoleona stepped back, watching as her mana encased the two teens. Both stared at their bodies, marveling over the faint warmth it brought. She smiled, although it was still like her grins, just not as harsh.

"Use your rivalry to your advantage and push each other far. I want you to show me that you can scale this volcano like our Knights and that you don't need fancy powers to get you there. While you're with us, I'm going to make sure that you're pushed to your limits like your world did to our mages. So get going! The hot spring awaits!"

Midoriya looked over at Bakugou, seeing the boy returning his gaze. Without speaking the two boys nodded, grins growing on their faces. As green sparks began to dance on Midoriya's skin, explosions grew in strength in the other's hands. And then they were off.

"Try to keep up, Deku!" Bakugou called out, using the heat that the volcano radiated to create large explosions, propelling him quickly forward.

Midoriya easily leapt from rock to rock, dancing over the lava. "Right behind you, Kacchan!"

Mereoleona trailed behind, watching the two make their way towards the top. Although their form wasn't ideal and in no way perfect, she knew within her heart that they would one day make strong warriors. But that didn't mean she'd go easy on them at all from here on out.

Bakugou and Midoriya reached the top of the volcano at the same time, panting from the heat exposure as they collapsed to the ground. Their friends ran over to them, ensuring that they were unharmed and that the Captain didn't terrorize them. Finding them whole, they smiled.

"I knew you guys could do it!" Asta cheered, helping Bakugou to his feet.

"Like I was worried about this test. Too easy." Bakugou dusted himself off, but he knew that it was only because of the hag's magic that he was able to reach the top.

Yuno helped Midoriya up, the latter offering him a grateful smile. "Yeah, it wasn't all that bad really." Yuno just hummed in agreement.

"Alright!" Mereoleona's voice boomed, gaining everyone's attention. "Glad to see you're all still in one piece! Now, I think it's time we enjoy the hot spring!" Cheers rang out and Sol quickly went to work to divide the pool in half, giving the women privacy from the boy's eyes.

Bakugou slid into the water next to Asta, enjoying the feeling of his sweat washing away. He hoped this would stop any uncontrollable explosions from happening. Meanwhile Midoriya sighed in relief once he was fully submerged, feeling his aching muscles relax.

Yuno joined them, trying to ignore Leopold as he harassed him about also being a rival since Asta was both of theirs, splashing Bakugou in the process. Asta managed to calm down the teen, preventing any unwanted accidents to occur. Midoriya simply sunk deeper into the water.

"Alright men," everyone turned towards Captain Yami, the man wearing a shit-eating grin on his face. "Surpass your limits right here and now and climb that wall!"

"Captain Yami Sir!" Asta exclaimed, a bit horrified at the notion. Yuno just stared wide-eyed.

"What? You scared of the challenge? Or the women over there?" Yami asked, leaning down into the anti-magic user's face. "Think of it as a little contest."

"I'm sorry, sir, but my heart is already set on one so I cannot take part in this." Asta began to happily think about Sister Lily, while Yuno rolled his eyes.

Leopold and his fellow Knights from the Crimson Lions peered at the wall, heavily considering the challenge.

"Don't be cowards! Go surpass your limits!" That sent them swimming over to Sol's wall, hoisting themselves up to begin to climb it's surface. Yami then turned towards the U.A. students who had both made no move. "What? You're not going to try and compete with them?"

"This feels a bit too similar... and I fear the repercussions more than when Mineta tried." Midoriya muttered, mouth barely above the water. Bakugou just grunted in agreement.

"Those idiots have no idea what's coming for them."

And indeed they did not.

Merely moments later a shrill scream rang through the night followed by a vicious roar before the wall dividing the pool in half groaned and stretched, literally flinging the men back into the water. Captain Yami simply laughed, pleased at the turn of events while Mereoleona threatened from the other side to skin him alive. The four teens who had remained simply shook their heads, more than relieved to have not taken part.

Later that night they finally left the volcano, returning to their squad bases, none the wiser to the catastrophe that would soon follow.