|7| Flashback

Chapter : : seven

Some memories never fade.

*        *        *

- F l a s h b a c k -

2 Years earlier

Today my brother, Caleb is going to choose but he looks a bit nervous. I don’t know why. He was always confident about what to choose. But since the last month he has been acting a bit wierdly. He often smiles at nothing in particular and even grins at times, touches his lips and seems distant. He has never been so happy before. It creeps me out a bit and it’s definitely scary.

“So Caleb, you’re ready?” He just nods tersely in response, looking distracted.

“Choose wisely, Caleb,” my mom says to him.

“Yeah, I will.”

“I know you will,” my father reassures.

“You okay, Caleb?” I ask slightly worried at his expression. He looks awfully nervous.

“I am perfectly fine.” He gives me one of his distant half-smiles.

*

“How was the choosing ceremony?” I ask Caleb. He looks at me with fear and panic in his eyes.

“I want to tell you something, Beatrice. Please don’t freak out.”

“Okay,” I say, a bit unsure of what he has to say.

“Come on,” he says, holding out his hand for me. I take his hand and we walk outside to the backyard of our house and that’s when I see a beautiful girl with black wavy hair and big brown eyes. She is almost a full head taller than me.

“Who is this?” I ask.

“I’m Cara, his girlfriend. And you must be his beautiful sister, if I am not mistaken. I have heard a lot about you from Caleb,” she says in a soft voice. But my brain registers only one word—girlfriend.

Isn’t it something that is really, really bad? I remember, at school we were taught that being someone’s girlfriend or boyfriend means you are infected by Deliria. I gasp when realization dawns on me.

“I’m in love with her,” Caleb says quietly, confirming my thoughts.

“So you ... you chose to be an uncured?” I ask when realization dawns on me.

“Yes, we both chose that,” Cara says.

“Shut up, you bitch!” I yell, suddenly angry. “You.” I shake my index finger wildly at her. “You made him choose it. My brother would never do that.”

“Bea, calm down, please. She didn’t make me choose anything. I chose it, Because I wanted to,” Caleb says with a pleading look. His glassy eyes make me weak as my knees start wobbling.

“So ... so, you will leave me? You will go to the wilds?” I ask with watery eyes. But I hold back my tears. I refuse to cry.

He just simply looks away. “But why do you want to be infected by Deliria? How can you live with the infected, the invalids? Maybe we can work this out somehow. Or we can—”

“Beatrice, I am already infected by Deliria and trust me, I’ve never been so happy before. I would rather leave here forever than get that damn procedure done. And you can’t stop yourself from falling in love. It just happens,” he explains and tries to reach out for me but I step back.

“Don’t,” I hiss.

“Bea—”

“I said don’t. Don’t you dare touch me. Stay back. You did what you wanted to. Now I’m going to do what I have to,” I say with a blank look on my face but I don’t know for how long I will be able to keep up the facade. It’s just a matter of few seconds before I break down into a pool of tears.

“Just try to listen to me, Bea—”he tries again but I cut him off.

“And one more thing,” I say, raising my index finger. “Don’t call me that. I’m Tris, from now on, for you and the world. Bea is dead. Never forget what you have become. You’re an invalid, now. The diseased, the infected along with your girlfriend,” I sneer derisively.

I turn around and leave. I hear Cara and Caleb call out my name but I block them out. The tear that I had been trying to hold back trails down, making my cheek salty. I run to my room, lock my door and let it all out.

It’s Caleb’s birthday day after tomorrow. The day on which, he would have got the procedure done and become a cured. But now it will be the day when Caleb will leave me forever.

I want to hate him but I can’t. He was the one, I cared about the most and he is the one who’s betraying me, leaving me.

I hope you will be happy, Caleb and not regret your choice. Wherever you will be, just be happy. But for some reason I know you won’t be. You will regret your choice.

Caleb is infected by the deadly ‘Deliria Amour Nervosa.’