|8| What have you done to me Four?

Chapter : : eight

"Being with him is like learning to fly."

* * *

I close my eyes to calm myself as all the memories come flooding back.

"Ms. Prior, please take a seat," a lady with blond hair and stony eyes says. Her voice sounds so robotic that for once I consider choosing to leave here and go to the wilds, being an uncured rather than going through the procedure. But I push those thoughts back as soon as they come.

I take a seat, sitting in front of the lady. A table separtes us both. All the walls here look like that of a hospital and again I shudder at the thought of the 'cure', the procedure.

"So Ms. Prior, I'm sure you are aware that once you make your choice you can't change it," she says. "As you know, our president has found a way to save the population by a 'procedure', from Deliria Amour Nervosa which is one of the deadliest diseases. It affects the mental state of your mind. Your birthday is in sixty days, I guess? So that's when you will be through with your procedure. It's the only cure. There will be a surgery and then you will be cured.

"If you choose to be an uncured, you will have to leave Reverie forever and the only place you can go to is the wilds, and as you know, wilds are very dangerous, where all the infected people live. Once you choose, you can't change it, as I had said before. And if you even try to do so, you will be executed. Its totally your choice, we won't force you into anything. Choose wisely."

The word 'execute' rings in my mind. If I even dare to change it, I will be executed.

"Cured," I say shakily. "I want to be a cured."

"Good. Now, I need your thumb prints and you'll be marked behind your left ear and after your procedure you'll be marked behind your right ear."

She takes my thumb prints on a few papers.

"Okay, so now you're going to be marked behind your left ear. It will hurt," she says without any emotion in her voice.

She brings some kind of machine and begins to mark. A tear tumbles down my cheek but not because of pain, but because I'm scared about the choice I just made.

"Now you may leave," she says. I leave the room and head home.

I hope I've made the right choice. But an image of Four pops up into my mind out of nowhere and my heart immediately goes into an overdrive. But brings a smile on my face.

Come to Brook Walter Beach today at 9 and I will tell you why.

He had said.

Tonight at 9.

After the curfew. It will be the second time in this week that I'm going to break the curfew and something tells me that it won't be the last time. I laugh out loud at that and for the first time, I don't give a shit about the looks that others are giving me.

What have you done to me, Four?

*

"No mom, I'm just not feeling well. I want to rest for a while."

"Okay, but take some medines," my mom says, in the same emotionless tone, making me wonder if she even means it or it is just some kind of formality.

"Yeah, I will," I say and quickly go to my room, closing the door behind me. It's almost 8:30. I don't know why am I so excited to see him but for some reason I am. I put my straight blond hair down and brush them. I hardly ever put my hair down but I just want to look good today. I check myself in the mirror and apply some mascara.