Mech Engineer: System V. System 2.2

Qiao Chen knocked on Duke Flock’s study room door. He received a confirmation to enter, then he pushed open the door and walked in.

“Grandfather.”Qiao Chen greeted. Because Qiao Chen was Qiaoyi and Qiaoyi was Qiao Chen, he greeted his grandpa quite naturally.  This was the first time he could remember where he had a loving family member. He was an orphan in his original life as well as the one he mysteriously joined. Then the one he just visited didn’t give him the same feeling like now. Duke Flock was truly his dear grandfather- the one who raised him since he was a child.

“Are you feeling better today?” Duke Flock asked. He carefully watched his little Qiaoyi as he entered.

“Very much so.” Qiao Chen said, “Grandfather, I have something I would like to discuss with you.”

“Oh? What is it?” Duke Flock softly asked. Even though he was an imposing and dignified individual, he was gentle towards his one and only grandchild.

“I want to cancel the engagement between Jared and me.” Qiao Chen replied immediately.

“Why? Was it because he didn’t choose to save you?” Duke Flock asked in return. He already understood how Qiaoyi had the accident. He still had his ways.

“I planned this because I wanted to see if I had a place in his heart. The results are very clear about that answer. Since he is no longer faithful to the love and engagement we shared, then why do we need to continue with this relationship? If we continued the engagement regardless of these facts, then it will only end up with me suffering the most.”

Duke Flock nodded his head as he agreed, “I’m quite happy that you’ve come to your senses. I was worried after watching you suffer from your constant paranoia over Jared’s feelings. I didn’t want you to be hurt.”

“Grandfather, does that mean you agree with dissolving the marriage engagement?” Qiao Chen didn’t think things would have gone so smoothly. He knew his grandfather had always loved and cherished him… but things as complicated as dissolving a marriage agreement wouldn’t be that easy.

Duke Flock shook his head and spoke, “I didn’t say that. It isn’t that simple to rescind an engagement agreement. The Wilson family is a haughty bunch. Even though I have a high status, we can’t dissolve the contract over words alone.”

“But grandfather, Jared is a selfish and disloyal. He’s already changed loves. Just thinking about being married to someone like Jared makes my whole body crawl. I just know that if I have to marry someone who already loves another, then my life will definitely end in tragedy. I cannot and will not be with him.” Qiao Chen tried to persuade.

“Since you fully understand the situation and your own feelings, then he can’t hurt you anymore. For families like ours, it’s very rare that we marry for love.” Duke Flock sighed inwardly.

“Grandfather please, I will never put you in such a predicament ever again.” Qiao Chen implored. He looked at Duke Flock with a pleading face.

Duke Flock looked at Qiao Chen’s earnest face and serious eyes. He asked, “Have you truly thought this through? Are you sure you’re not doing this because you’re just throwing a tantrum? And are you sure you won’t just go back to Jared after he whispers a few sweet words to you?”

“I mean it- no I swear it. I want to sever the engagement between us. If I ever go crazy and we happen to reconcile, then Grandfather, you definitely shouldn’t agree to it. You need to stop me even if you have to lock me away, so I can’t meet with him anymore. You can’t agree to it.” Qiao Chen answered earnestly.