Noriaki Kakyoin; Even After.

A/N:
Sad and angsty ): You've probably seen this trope be done a thousand times but I liked it. Zombie apocalypse set AU.

--

Dense trees caught your attention through the drivers' side window of the red volkswagen. You tried to keep your eyes slick on the road before you, but the unsettling aura of the orange sun setting itched at the crevices of your brain. Night time, was not good. Especially not when your trapped on a long road with no places to stay safely for the night.

Your eyes twitched to your left, to your partner, his cherry red hair matching much resemblance to the car you were driving. Skin pale and cheekbones prominent, the skin under his eyes were a deep gray. He was tired.

Your heart sunk.

"You can get some rest, Kakyoin..."

"I don't want to fall asleep." His voice was cracked, shaky.

Although you knew the answer, a question beckoned. "Why not?."

"I'm scared."

You bit your lip. As you figured. You didn't want to press anymore.

"Do you want to listen to the radio?."

"I doubt we'll get reception..."

"Still," You tried to stay optimistic. "It's worth a try, eh?."

He only nodded. You flicked the radio dial with your forefinger, messing with the volume. Only static emitted from the box machine. Kakyoin was right...Kakyoin was always right.

"That was a bust..." You made a pouty face and, Kakyoin gave a half-hearted laugh. You could tell he was trying to make you feel better, your luck of fate hadn't been too...well, lucky recently.

First, you ran into some bandits. They did what bandits do, they raided you- and then, you ran into a horde. A horde of those... flesh eating monster-things.

You thought he was going to die...you thought you were going to lose him. He fell, and was almost untrackable in the group of ravenous cannibals. But somehow, he escaped. That's when you thought your luck had come back, and then, you found this car.

But the car was running out of gas, and the sun was setting. You didn't have the guts to tell him.

It was quiet. Sickeningly quiet. You didnt know what to say or do, and neither did he, yet you both knew the unspeakable. It hung in the air, resonating with the molecules...

Neither of you mentioned a word.

As the red checker-mark slowly etched down to the big red E, and the engine rumbled, the little volkswagen came to a complete stop in the middle of the long, dwindly road, where the now purple-gray sky cast down upon.

You felt yourself crumbling. You tried to remain calm, not for your sake, but for Kakyoin.

"We ran out of gas?."

"Um...um, yeah..." You massaged your temples, urging your brain to think of something- but there was nothing you could do. It was too late to go out and explore, to find somewhere safe, and with Kakyoin's state...?

You didn't even think he would make it that far.

"Oh..."

His voice almost broke you in half. The disappointment, the setting in of realization. You had both knew it. But now you had to face it.

You noticed, his breath was wheezy, ragged sounding, and the veins in his face bulged. Visible sweat beads formed on his delicate skin.

"A-are you hot?."

"What? No, I'm fine." He looked at you, puzzled. "But, you're sweating."

"I am?," He pressed his discolored fingertips to his face. "I am."

Tears formed in your eyes. "You are..."

"I'm in pain."

"I know," You cried. "I know, I'm sorry."

"I know you don't want to talk about it," He looked at you, sympathy in his eyes. "We both know what happened out there, what happened...to me. I don't even have to say it."

"No, Kakyoin, y-you're gonna be fine! I'm going to take care of you! Everything's going to be okay!."

"I'm going to turn into one of them,
(Y/n). I...I don't know how long I have left."

"No..." You hit the wheel, over and over. You used your might and frustration, and you screamed. You screamed the loudest scream of sorrow. You sobbed.

He placed a hand on your shoulder blade, a hand of comfort. You seethed through gritted teeth and wiped your face until it was red and stung.

"Show me."

"What?."

"Show me. I want to see it...I-I want to make sure."

"Trust me, (Y/n)-." You cut him off. "Kakyoin. I said, show me."

He sighed, eyes fixated on the floor-board. He couldn't bear to look at you as he rolled up the mid-section of his dirty, worn out green school shirt.

A hole was sunken into his side, black tissue forming inside. Early signs of necrosis...already, not even a few hours later.

"That's not all... there's a few more."

"Oh my god, Kakyoin..." It was worse than you thought, already a hard pill to swallow had grown ten times its size.

"I can't turn into one of those...things, (Y/n)...you can't let me."

Rubbing your fingertips against your already reddened face to wipe away the rest of the moist residue, you held your head in your hands and took in a sigh of acceptance.

"What do you want me to do about it, Kakyoin?." You asked, although, you didn't really think you wanted an answer.

"You know what you have to do." He simply put. His slender fingers laced around the Browning Hi-Power Pistol that settled in the gun-holder strapped around his calf. He slid it across the storage armrest.

You felt almost no-emotion as you eyed up the gun. "You're asking me to...shoot you?."

"Its quick and easy. I don't want to suffer and, I don't want you to see me suffer...," He paused, thinking of what to say to make this any better- trying not to choke on his own words. "Its still going to be hard, I know that. This is alot to ask of you..."

"It really is, yeah...," You took a breather. "Is this- Is this what you really want?."

"I know what I don't want."

You nodded.

"You know I can't live without you, right? You do this, I do this?."

He hesitated. "I...know." He cleared his throat, roughly. "I don't believe in much of an afterlife...especially, not after all of this, the apocalypse, but," He moved your hand from your head, and grasped it gently. Lovingly.

"I know, we will be together, even after death."

"Even after?."

He cracked a smile. A genuine one. "Even after."

"Can you do this for me?." His voice was hushed, like a whisper.

"I can."

You grabbed the pistol from the armrest with your dominant hand, still holding his with the over. You pulled the hammer.

"I love you, Kakyoin."

"I love you too, (Y/n)."

Bang.

Bang.