Chapter 13

Semestral Break.

I stayed at home most of the time to paint new pieces. But I'm already out of canvass and some shades of paint so I'm back here at the store to fetch some.

After buying the stuffs I needed, I stopped over to the ladies room to pee. I was washing my hands when one of the cubicles opened.

"Chae?"

I glanced at the mirror and saw Mina. I was shocked. I turned around quickly as to confirm if I am not seeing things. And I am not. It's really her.

"Unnie!"

She smiled sadly then went to wash her hands beside me. I stared at her. She looked unwell. She also lost some weight. Is she sick?

She looked at me after washing her hands. "I'll go ahead Chae."

She said and walked pass by me. My hands moved on it's own. It grabbed her wrist.

"Just a sec Unnie."

This is what I wanted. Her, avoiding me. But I don't know why I stopped her at this moment.

"What is it Chae?"

She asked without looking back at me. I let her wrist go.

"What's wrong?" I asked. "You looked weak, are you sick?"

"No."

I grabbed her arms to forcefully look at me. "Yes you are! You've lost some weight, didn't you? Why?"

She pushed my hands away and stared at me for a moment. Then without saying anything she left.
I was so dumbfounded by her actions that I just stood there staring at the door she closed a few minutes ago.

----
I couldn't sleep. Mina's image earlier kept on bugging me.

She isn't sick, right?

I rose from my bed and grabbed my phone. I will not be able to sleep like this. I grabbed my phone from the bedside table and dialed Tzuyu's phone. It rang 5 times before she picked it up.

"Hello."

She answered in a hoarse voice.

"I'm sorry Tzu. Did I wake you?"

I heard a bang sound after that. Maybe she fell from her bed or the phone did.

"C-Chae!" She exclaimed.

I understand her reaction. It is actually the first time in awhile since I called her first. I kept on avoiding her and I know she knows why. I felt sorry to Tzuyu. Maybe I should reach out to her soon. She didn't do me bad anyways. She just happened to love my ex. And loving someone isn't a crime. I need to be happy for both of them.

"Yeah. It's me. Ahhhh...Tzu, I just need to ask something."

"Sure! Shoot it."

"I bumped into Mina-unnie earlier at the mall while shopping art materials. She looked...weak and frail. She also lost some weight. Is she sick?"

I couldn't help but sound so worried. Well, maybe because I really am. I'm so pathetic.

I heard Tzuyu chuckling from the other line. "Are you perhaps, worried about her Chae?"

Tzuyu asked me that bombing question. It's no use lying because I know Tzuyu can read me as clear as glass. That's just how she is ever since.

"Yes."

She was silent for a second before answering. "Don't worry Chae. She isn't sick or something. She is just...broken."

"Why? Did you two broke up? What happened? Did you hurt her Tzu? What did you do?"

I immediately throw her questions one after another.

"I think being worried is an understatement Chae. You still love her, don't you?"

And that zipped my mouth. I shouldn't have called her. I quickly hung up the call and throw my phone on the bed.

I feel so pathetic asking about my ex from her new girlfriend. I might have offended Tzuyu.

But what does she mean about broken? Did they really broke up?

I felt a sudden burst of happiness by that thought but I quickly removed it. So what if they actually broke up? I would still be out of the picture.

For now.

I opened my drawer and took the business card inside. I need a few more years. I hope Mina could still wait. I really hope I won't be too late if it happens.

----
"It's been a while since I saw you three visiting my Chaeyoung. Go on. Eat. I earnestly prepared this for my daughter's friends."

I stared at my mother feeding my uninvited guests. I still looked shabby with my morning hair while these three looked so neat.

"What are you three doing here?" I asked poker-faced.

"Yah! Don't be rude to your friends Chaeyoung! They took an effort to visit you so early, just be thankful!"

I made a face. "That's the point mom. They're here so early without being invited!"

My mom smacked me at the back of my head.

"Oww!"

"Your friends doesn't need invitation to visit you! They can come whenever they want."

Dahyun sticked her tongue to me. She's so confident since my mom knows her since grade school.

"That's okay tita. Chae is right. We did not inform her about our visit and we even came early. We should have told her, it's our bad."

Jeongyeon looked at me apologetically. Well, what can I do? They are already enjoying my mom's food. It would be rude to shoo them away now.

"We just got excited when Tzuyu called us last night Chae. She told us that you called her for the first time in a while. Then Dahyun suddenly suggested that we visit you today. And since we haven't got a chance to hang out last semester, we all agreed. We're sorry."

I sighed. I unconsciously avoided Dahyun and Jeongyeon because of Tzuyu. I really need to pay attention to my actions. I realized that I drifted away from these girls because of my selfishness and...jealousy.

"Of course, we're friends after all."

I remembered the thing I said to Tzuyu when I came back. I looked at her and saw that she's also looking at me. She smiled cautiously.

I think I haven't stood up to what I said to her.

It's nobody's fault that I am born in not so capable family. And it's also not Tzuyu's fault that she fell inlove with the woman I am in love with and that she's capable enough to be accepted by her family.

I smiled at her. I need to work hard to be her worthy competitor someday. But for now, I guess I need to be a friend first.

Her friend.

Their friend.

Because that's what we are even before Mina came into my life.

I stood up to wash my face but my phone lit up. When I looked at the screen, my eyes widened upon knowing the caller.

Sana is calling....

I looked at Tzuyu and to my phone and back to Tzuyu.

The ringing stopped before I could answer it.

"Who was that Chae? Why didn't you answer it right away?"

Dahyun asked me with her mouth full of rice. I wanted to laugh at her but I couldn't. I'm in a pinch situation right now because an sms popped up in my screen.

"Chae, I'm sorry for calling so early but I'm on my way to your place now. I already received the certificate of registration for your scooter. I will personally hand it to you since we're already friends. I'm almost there. Hope you're already awake. See yah."

I guess the time for this two to meet is today.

And I confirmed it when I heard a car honking outside.

Sana is already here!