Chapter 24

I stayed still, inside the car for 15 minutes while staring at my own reflection from the rearview mirror.

Everyone's giving me time to think. They just sat there silently.

After a few more minutes, I closed my eyes firmly and took a deep breath one last time.

"I'm ready." I said.

Then without a word, Dahyun opened the sliding door beside her and hopped out of the car.

I followed after her as well as everyone else.

Momo tapped my shoulders signalling me to go. And I did.

I walked alone towards the direction that they showed me earlier.

I walked slowly while my eyes are fixated with that grayish concrete just a few meters away from me. My heart started to pound erratically.

Slowly by slowly, the distance dissipated. The contexts are now clear and became readable.

I halted my step as I reached the place successfully without breaking down.

With shaking hands, I layed down the bouquet of sunflowers I had with me.

My cheeks are now wet with tears.

"Hey there love. I came to said goodbye. Finally."

----
"You should go and rest. I'll go and take care of everything today." Tzuyu said as they dropped me after that memorial visit.

"Call me if you need something." Momo said while looking so worried.

I smiled weakly at her as a response.

"Me too. Don't hesitate." Dahyun said while waving his phone.

"Mine's also on avail." Sana announced from the front seat.

I nodded to all of them. "Thanks guys. But it's fine. I'll be fine." I said then waved them goodbye.

I went inside my house and got welcomed by my son who came running at me, followed by her grandmother behind him.

I scooped him up and gave him a kiss on his cheeks.

"You're back early." My mom said.

"Didn't go to work." I simply answered.

My Mom then noticed the redness of my eyes. She stared at me waiting for an explanation.

But I didn't directly gave it to her. Instead, I looked at my son.

"Momma came from a visit baby." I said as to answer my Mom's questioning eyes.

My son just tilted his head as he has no idea what I'm talking about.

I continued. "I came there to visit someone after 5 long years. Just to say..."

My voice cracked.

"Goodbye..."

With that, my Mom understood the situation and moved towards me to give me a hug.

That day, I let myself cried on her shoulders. I cried my regrets out one last time for the first and last person I truly love.

-----
I came back to work the next day feeling so relaxed and light.

I felt like this is the very first time that I felt genuinely happy since that day she left.

Letting her go doesn't mean I am forgetting her. Chae will always hold a special place in my heart. And no one. No one will ever replace her there.

Even Chaemin's father.

And speaking of that person, he's still sending me texts and emails saying that we should get married and give Chaemin a complete family.

But I always ignored his messages.

Never did I want to get involved with him again. He took advantage of my kindness and vulnerability. I trusted him. I thought we were friends, but he betrayed me.

But I don't really hate him. I actually somewhat thankful of him for giving me Chaemin. My precious son. My baby.

But not hating him is not synonymous of wanting him to be part of our lives. I can raise Chaemin by myself. I don't need his money and neither him.

But he seemed dull to not realize it.

My intercom lit up while I'm re-reading the financial report I received earlier. I pressed the answer button.

"Yes?"

"Ma'am, this is May from the reception desk. Someone's out here to see you. He says he needs to talk to you ASAP."

"What's his name?" I asked.

"He didn't give it ma'am but he says his Chaemin's father?"

My eyes widened.

"Send him out! Now!" I yelled.

"Wha- Y-yes ma'am!"

That jerk! How did he find me?

----
It's already been a week since that jerk keeps on pestering me. He even managed to locate our house. I strictly instructed the guards not to let anyone in and luckily he didn't tried to sneak inside. He still have his decency intact.

But he still calls me and sends me texts like:

"It's really important. See me please."

Or

"I'll leave after this."

But I ignored his texts and deleted it right away after. I already blocked his number, but I still received the notifications saying that he sent me a message and a call.

But one day, I received nothing from him. I thought that he already gave up but I was wrong.

That day, Tzuyu came rushing inside my office and gave me her phone. She looked flustered.

I took it and read the texts flashed on her screen.

"Please tell Mina this: Son Chaeyoung is alive. And I know where she is. Give me a call after reading this, Mina."

I covered my mouth with my hands in astonishment.

"Call him Mina." Tzuyu said, looking so determined about it. She believes him.

But I shook my head. "That jerk is just making up stories. He just wants to me to call him. And I won't give in to that. He knows about Chae, Tzu. I told him everything when we travelled together. And he's using it to his advantage now. I won't fall for it."

I firmly said and deleted the message from her phone. I also took the initiative and blocked that jerk's number.

"B-but...he might have been telling the truth. You can't be so sure about that."

She tried to appeal but I stood firm to my decision. "You guys convinced me to let Chae go after that excruciating years. And I did. Because you guys already accepted that Chae's gone."

"But-"

"Don't get swayed by a stranger Tzu. I know what that jerk is capable of more than anyone. And this time. I am sure that he's just bluffing to get what he wants. He's an opportunist Tzu. That I can attest to. Trust me."

She looked like she wanted to say something but she stopped midway. She took her phone back from me and moved out of my office looking so defeated.

She might have had her hopes up.

I can't blame her. I sighed.

"I already decided to move on. And your bluff won't change that, Jackson."

I said when I was finally alone.