Chapter Seven

Taz walked through the door into John's dorm.

"Sera," Taz started as he walked over to John. "As much as I hate to do this, I think you should leave, I mean I don't think John would want you to hear some of this."

"I understand. I guess I'll head to the mall. John's not a fan, and I need some stuff." She said walking to the door. "If you need anything, call or text me." She walked out the door.

"John, listen we may finally have enough to get Keon for abuse and violence against minors." Taz said placing a hand on John's shoulder.

About an hour later John and Taz had completely changed the subject back to a happier note.

"So you and Shannon still play?" John asked.

"Oh hell yeah we still play, what you think just because you ditch us we'd just hang everything up?" Taz joked. "What about you? You still play?"

"occasionally, not much, but I still have the equipment."

"Good, you should drop by my place at some point, it'll be just like old times, get the band back together, ya know."

"We could do that right now, let me get my guitar."

"Sure, sounds good." Taz said as John got up and walked to his room. Taz then texted Sera to tell her they were heading to Taz's place and he gave her the address. As soon as John came back they locked the door and we're on their way to play.

"Make yourself at home" Taz said as they walked into the house.

"Reminds me of my old place" John said thinking back to when he was aloud to live off campus.

"Oh yeah, I heard about that." Taz said leaving the conversation there.

"Is that my boy Taz?" Shannon called from another room.

"Yup, its me, and I brought someone who would like to apologize." Taz said.

"Oh?" Shannon said coming walking into the room that Taz and John were in.

"Hey," John said seeing the cuts and scraps on Shannon's face "I'm so sorry."

"Anyway," Taz spoke up "we were gonna play some music."

"Oh? Hold on, give me five or so minutes and I'll join you."

"Ok cool, we got the band back together." Taz said excited.

Five minutes later John and Taz were inside the recording room Taz had set up in the house. They were making sure all the equipment was good and John was tuning his guitar.

"Ok guys I'm ready, what are we playing first?' Shannon asked taking her seat behind the drum kit.

"I don't know, Johnny here says he hasn't played all to much for a while, so I was thinking something easy. The Offspring?"

"Sounds good to me. Gonna go far? John asked.

"Hell yeah." Taz said. "That is if you can still use those killer pipes of yours."

"The songs not that hard to sing." John said turning to the mic and making sure his guitar was plugged in and ready.

On Shannon's signal they started the song.

  John sang it flawlessly, his playing however? He wished. Both him and Taz could pick up the nine different mistakes he made. Lucky for John the mistakes were not super bad, not at major points that Taz's lead skills couldn't cover up. So while the too guitar players knew about the mistakes it would have sounded relatively normal if an audience was listening.

  "Jeez John I can tell it's been a while," Taz joked.

  "Oh shut up. I told you that, it's your fault for not believing me." John shot back.

  "I thought it sounded good." Shannon said

  "It was, but this guy made a few mistakes. Nothing I couldn't hide with my amazing lead though." Taz Joked.

  "We only agreed to make you lead because I'm the better singer." John replied.

  "Ok Mr. Better singer, how 'bout something harder? Three. Days. Grace." Taz said

  "You know damn well I can't do that." John said. "I can sing songs Matt does, but nobody can sing Adam. Nobody." He put emphasis on the nobody.

  "Fine then, we'll do a Matt song. So What."

  "I'm down for that one," Shannon said.

  "Fine, whatever, So What." John said turning around to face the microphone.

  John was right. He could sing Matt. Once he got into it, he was Matt. Singing the song almost perfectly. Once they finished the song Taz was nothing but impressed. It had been years since he had heard the young man sing.

  "John, THAT is why we made you singer." Was the only thing Taz could say.

  "Yeah John, I know you said you couldn't, but please try to sing Adam." Shannon pleaded.

  "Fine, but I'm only going to do Over and Over. That's the only one I can get close to." John said fully ready to embarrass himself infront of the people he had spent years jamming out with.

  About a minute into the song the front door opened and in walked sera. All she heard was John's voice singing with good music backing him up. Walking further into the house he was met with the sight of John and Taz rocking the guitar as Shannon went to town on the drum kit.

  "It feels like everyday stays the same,
It's dragging me down and I can't pull away. So here I go again, chasing you down again." Was all she heard John sing before she knew what song it was. She began to sing along with John. Somehow harmonising perfectly with him.

  The group paused when Taz stopped playing. "You hear that?" He asked. Getting the 'yes I do' nod form both John and Shannon he walked to the door and peered out to see Sera.

"Hey" She said. when Taz turned around she followed him and entered the room. John immediately got red in the face, he knew he would embarrass himself in front of Taz and Shannon, but Sera? That was new.

  "Well I knew by boyfriend was powerful, but the musical talent? That's knew." Sera said looking at John. "And why the hell would you think it's a good idea to hid that singing from me?"

  "Oh? Is Johnny boy embarrassed by us?" Taz said sarcastically.

  "With all seriousness though, you guys should write your own songs.

  John and Taz looked at each other, then back at Shannon who simply nodded. What followed made Sera's mouth hit the floor.

_______________________________________
I know I know, John playing guitar? John singing? Well as a guitarist myself I thought it would add to John's character and connect him to Taz and Shannon a little more. As for the singing? I figured why the hell not.