Chapter 3

I stand in a cold room, that seems to be underground. There are no windows or doors and I can feel a light mist in the air, maybe I'm near a river. I look around to find mother sitting in a chair across the room, she's tied up but still manages to have a sweet smile on her face. I glance down to find I'm also tied up, and start to thrash in panic. Footsteps sound in the distance; we aren't alone. A panel in the wall slides upwards and Father steps through, he sneers at me before walking over mother and sliding a rusted blade out from where it's strapped across his back. Before she can even scream, he plunges the tip of his blade into her heart.

I wake up, more peacefully this time, though those thoughts from my nightmares still loom over me. Mother's trial is today, it's only natural my worry carries into my dreams, well nightmares. So, I get up and dress in my finest clothes, though still plain. I know my mother will be fine; she will plead innocent and my and father will support her claims and her charges will be quickly dismissed. She's the queen, they can't just lock her up forever! It still confuses me, what was father doing that night, why did he call the guards, it's as though he believed she was guilty, though he doesn't want her gone, does he? I push the toxic thoughts out of my mind.

I arrive in the courtroom, flanking my father. I control my sharp intake of breath at the sight of my mother sitting in that chair, alone in the middle of the room. I fight my instincts and continue to wind my way through the chairs to my seat, right beside my Father in the royal box. I eventually find my seat and sit down as slowly and calmly as I can, fighting the urge to curl up into a little ball and cry. I manage to restrain myself and stop myself from tensing up too much as the gathered crowd quiets. The Senate stands as one, a portrait of perfect subservience, they will channel and execute the gods' wishes for their queen. I pray silently to the Gods for mercy for me and her and hope they are listening to my pleas. As they begin the trial, I tune out my thoughts and focus on their charges towards my mother.

," Your majesty, Queen Irene Whitehorn, you stand accused of defying the gods, practising desire and fun and encouraging your daughter, the crown princess to follow in your sinful footstep's," my heart sputters, will I be punished as well? Well I would rather it was me down there than my mother," Do you plead innocent, or guilty,".

," I plead guilty, senate and gods represented," I lurch forward, my brain processing the words slower than my body has. There's no way.," I only beg of the gods, and of you, to spare my daughter from any persecution,".

Before I can hold myself back, words spout from my mouth," No. You're innocent. Mother what are you doing,".

," Evangeline, quiet. Please ignore her, she is likely very distressed," Father reassures the senate. 

I'm still confused and outraged but I push my feelings aside. I would only make things worse. Surely, I could plead with my father to let Mother free.

After the rest of the hearing, I rush over to my father but he's already left the courtroom. Not knowing where he is, I return home, " He has to come home at some point, I'll talk to him then," I think. So, I make the short walk home alone, there's no danger, I can sense the guards lightly trailing me as if anyone would dare hurt the heir to the throne. Though I have enough things to worry about I can't think about crime anyway.