Chapter 26 Meeting Odin

Astrid and Emmett greeted Heimdall then looked in astonishment at the Golden City that loomed in the distance. They had never seen anything so beautiful in their lives. Astrid let go of Emmett's hand and stepped away from him, “Asgard,” She whispered.

Thor and Diana smiled, “Come, Daughter, your grandparents are anxiously waiting to meet you.”

Astrid looked up at her father and nodded. They walked out of the observatory where horses were waiting for them. Thor, Diana, Loki, and Astrid mounted the horses, but Emmett made no move to get near the horses, “Maybe I should run, I don't want to spook the horses,” Emmett suggested.

“Nonsense, Emmett, you can ride with Astrid,” Thor suggested.

“Are you sure, um, your Highness?”

Thor let out a booming laugh, “You may call me Thor in private, Emmett. And I am positive; these are Asgardian horses. They are war horses and are very disciplined, and they do not know what vampires are.”

“Okay,” Emmett said, not truly convinced.

But when he stepped up the horse, it stayed perfectly calm, and he carefully mounted the stallion. The stallion shifted a little to become accustomed to the extra weight but did nothing else; Emmett smiled as he wrapped his arms around Astrid's waist.

Thor looked at Astrid and Emmett. Once they were settled, he nodded, and they rode out of the observatory towards the palace across the Rainbow Bridge. As they rode through the gates of the Golden City, Emmett was in awe of the advanced technology that Asgard had. Never in his wildest dreams did he think he would ever see something so beautiful and intimidating at the same time.

When they arrived at the palace, Thor, Diana, Loki, Astrid, and Emmett dismounted their horses and made their way into the castle. As they walked down the corridor, Astrid noticed that the servants bowed to her mother and father, but they also bowed to her as well. She suddenly realized that they knew who she was. It made Astrid a little uncomfortable that they were treating her like royalty. She reached out for Emmett's hand as they walked to the throne room. Emmett gives her hand a little squeeze.

When they reached the throne room, the guards opened the door and announced their arrival. Astrid looked at her parents, her mother gave her an encouraging smile, and her father beamed at her, “Everything will be fine, Daughter. Your grandparents have been waiting a long time to see you again,” Thor said.

Astrid nodded and squared her shoulders, “Alright, I'm ready.”

They walked into the throne room, all the nobility of Asgard had gathered; it was just as Astrid had pictured it when she had painted her father. She held on tightly to Emmett's hand as they walked towards the Allfather. Astrid never took her eyes off of her grandparents; she refused to show any fear and be cowed by the stern look on Odin's face; Astrid saw Odin's lip twitch.

As Thor's family walked towards him, he noticed how Astrid resembled Thor, but she had her mother's spirit. Diana was the same way when she arrived in Asgard. Diana met Odin with her head held high and determination in her eyes. She, too, never took her eyes off of Odin, showing that as the daughter of a god, Diana would not be intimidated or cowed. Now, Odin saw the same thing in his granddaughter. He couldn't help but feel proud of her.

When they arrived at the bottom of the steps that led to his throne Thor and the others kneeled and bowed their heads; that was the only time that Astrid took her eyes off Odin. Odin waited for a moment. He let the tension build to see what would happen, but as he expected, Astrid stayed calm and did not fidget. Odin took the opportunity to examine the man that was at Astrid's side. The vampire was just as he remembered them to be. Attractive, alluring, but cold, and made of stone. Though this one was different, he remembered the last time he saw them, they had red eyes, but this one had amber eyes, and though the vampire was as still as a statue, there was something about him that intrigued Odin, and he wanted to know what it was.

“You may rise,” Odin finally said.

They all rose in unison; Thor stepped forward, “Father, I present to you, my daughter, Astrid, and her companion Emmett Cullen.”

“Step forward, Granddaughter,” Odin said.

Astrid, without an ounce of fear, took a step forward and once again looked Odin in the eye, “I see you have your mother's spirit. She, too, was unafraid of me.”

“Why should I be afraid of my grandfather,” Astrid asked.

“Indeed,” Odin said and then took Frigga's hand. They made their way down the dais, and Odin stood in front of Astrid.

“Asgard welcomes Princess Astrid home, but more importantly, I welcome home my beloved granddaughter,” Odin said and smiled.

With that, a mighty roar started, and the people cheered for the return of their princess. Astrid smiled and hugged her grandfather. He stiffened at first, then wrapped his arms around her and returned the hug. When she let go of him, Frigga stepped forward and hugged her tightly; when the people quieted down, Odin address Emmett.

“Emmett Cullen, I understand that you are a vampire.”

“Yes, I am.”

“Tell me, why is it that your eyes are amber when the vampires I annihilate had red eyes?”

Emmett swallowed voluntarily, “My eyes are amber because I only feed on the blood of animals, Your Majesty, and feeding on the blood of animals makes our eyes change color.”

Odin nodded, “When were you turned?”

“1935, sir.”

“Why?”

Emmett went on to explain how a bear mauled him and that Rosalie had saved him and took him to Carlisle, “I want to hear more on your creator, but for now, we have rooms prepared for you. I'm sure you and Astrid would like to freshen up. Tonight there will be a feast in honor of my granddaughter's homecoming.”

Everyone bowed to Odin, and they left the throne room. The minute the doors were closed, Astrid let out a sigh of relief, “That went better than I expected,” Thor said.

“Yes, I'm surprised father did not destroy Emmett.”

“What?!”

“I thought having him come here was only an excuse to destroy him himself,” Loki said, “But I'm happy to say I was wrong.”

“Yeah, me too,” Emmett murmured.

“Well, now that that's done, I'll escort you to your room, and you can freshen up,” Diana said.

“Yes, for tonight, we feast the return of MY DAUGHTER!” Thor said excitedly, causing Loki to roll his eyes.

With that Diana took Astrid's arm and led her to the Royal family wing where Emmett also had a room.