Wish Me Luck

Wish Me Luck

Ben Warren moved stealthily around the hospital trying to avoid Miranda Bailey. Ever since he'd revealed his true feelings to his best friend about the General surgeon over beer and chips, he had no interest in seeing her. That was a lie. He really did want to see her, but pursuing a married woman wasn't something he was into. Ben tried to mostly use the stairways to get to the ORs, steered clear of the lounges and went into the locker room only if he absolutely had to. At the end of a long week, he sauntered in the direction of the elevators, exhausted. He could have easily crawled into an on-call bedroom and fallen asleep for the entirety of his two days off. The elevator bell sounded and he walked into the car. "Can you push two for me? Thanks," he said staring at the floor.

"I haven't seen you in a few days," a familiar voice said.

"Huh?" He asked looking up. His eyes, tired, landed on those of Miranda's. He licked his lips and rubbed his face. "Oh, yeah, I've just been busy. You know being a doctor."

"So... we're calling anesthesiologists 'doctors' now?" She asked staring at him.

He cocked his head to the side and grinned. The elevator rang out and the doors opened behind them. Miranda walked out without looking back. Ben exhaled and dropped his head against the cool steel. The doors started to close and he shot his arm between the doors. They bounced off of his skin and he darted out of it and after Miranda. He didn't call her name or tap her shoulder to slow her down; he knew better than that. He walked softly behind her, giving her space. "Doctor Bailey?"

"Yes?" She asked while pulling out her phone and clicking the screen. Ben waited. She stopped walking suddenly and he bumped her a little. "Any closer and you'll be inside of my lab coat." Miranda turned around and looked at him, not surprised at all.

"Sorry about that," he said pulling his bag up on his shoulder.

"So?" She crossed her arms.

"Goodnight, Dr. Bailey," a passing nurse called out, waving.

Miranda smiled politely. "How can I help you?" She asked.

Ben licked his bottom lip. "I was avoiding you."

"I know."

"But now I'm wondering if—wait, what do you mean you know?"

She crossed her arms. "Do you know who I am?"

"Yes."

"Then you should know that I know everything." Ben would later swear that he saw her wink at him. "So, what is it that you want, Dr. Warren?"

He licked his lips a little. "I'm going to be straightforward because I think you like that in a man." He watched Miranda adjust her posture and it gave him more confidence. "You may say no, but I'll never know if I don't ask. So, would you like to get dinner sometime?" Her mouth opened slightly. And his heart raced as he waited for her response.

"Dr. Bailey to the Nurses' Station. Dr. Bailey to the Nurses' Station," the intercom blared.

Miranda cleared her throat. "I... uh, I have to go." She started to walk away. Ben scrunched up his face and headed back to the elevators. What in the world had he been thinking? Fatigue had definitely plagued his mind. "Uh, Dr. Warren?"

He turned to look at her, sure smugness would be colored on her face. "Yes, Dr. Bailey."

"I wouldn't mind sharing a meal with you... sometime." Before he could respond, she was gone.